• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling the barrel before a hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as an FYI, Ben, I think fouling the bore a little by firing off just powder is called a SQUIB SHOT. I think I've read that British cannoneers did this to improve accuracy. It's the King's English! That being said, I personally wouldn't do it. If your rifle is loaded and patched correctly, it should be optimum when clean and loaded.

Like most of the others, my short answer is "No". I sight my guns in with clean bores and I don't see any difference in accuracy with a fowled bore. But, if I load my hunting rifle and don't shoot it, I will leave it loaded until the hunt is over or I shoot at game, which ever comes first. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
As most of the posts have indicated, I too hunt with a clean bore. But I will add that I work up a load that shoots clean or "dirty." My test for hunting loads is that I can shoot a minimum of three shots that accurately place on the target from clean for the first through fowled. Most often, many more are possible with very good accuracy.

I think Roundball posted a picture here once that showed the results of one of his shooting sessions with "dozens" of shots on one target in virtually one ragged hole with no wiping.

Was the book in reference to muzzleloaders? I know the first shot cold bore logic for for a modern rifle but I wouldnt think most muzzleloaders would have the consistency to make much of a difference. However this is just a WAG so I could be wrong.

I have a.45 flint LR for squirrels and a .54 Hawken that I built for elk and after much range work finding accurate loads for both, haven't noticed any difference in POI between the first shot and subsequent shots w/ a fouled, unswabbed bore.

The difference between a clean and fouled bbl would probably be more apparent in the .45 LR because only head shots are taken on squirrels and I've experienced no difference in POI.

When I used a .50 TC Hawken w/ conicals on elk, a fouled bore kept the conical on the charge...tried some tamped newsprint ahead of the conical w/ a clean bbl but the accuracy went to pot. That's why I built the .54 Hawken and use PRBs.

I don't swab between shots while at the range or while hunting....after the PRBs become hard to load, a bronze wire brush is sent down the bore a couple of times and the debris is dumped. Much easier to load after that.

I consider my MLers {not my builds which are all sold} as tools for hunting and wouldn't own a hunting MLer that req'd a lot of fussing because of poor ignition, poor accuracy if the bore isn't swabbed after each shot and picking the vent after every shot.....Fred

Rat Trapper said:
I run a patch down the barrel with alchol to remove the oil. Then I run a dry patch down and pop couple caps. when the patch is removed the patch should have a burn mark on it. If it doesn't don't load it until you get the problem fixed as it won't fire. I sight my rifle in to shoot to point of aim with a clean dry barrel. My rifle may stay loaded for a number of days until I find a deer I want.

Roger That. Exactly what I do. Works great. I use 91% Alcohol.

Back