• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling with Goex + NL1000

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to concur with what most of you guys state. For me, in my climate, Bore Butter is still the best.

I bought a new rifle about a month ago and decided that I would try some of Stumpy's concotion. It worked fine and pretty much as he has stated but no better or worse than half a dozen other commercial and homemade lubes I've tried in the last 30 years. Fouliing seemed to be the same as eveything else I've tried that's any good. I can't say how it is in cold weather as the temps were in the 80's when I used it. In cold weather I would suspect it performs just as Stumpy says and therefore would be a better cold weather lube than Bore Butter. Altho, I've used Bore Butter in some pretty cold temps and just a little rubbing of the patch between your fingers makes Bore Butter more than adequate. I think I'll stay with the yaller minty smellin' stuff....

Vic

Tiger,

I've tried the commercial lubes and the only one I can buy over the counter that's any good in really cold weather is Mink Oil. Good thing you can buy it in tins as I don't think my urban neighbors would take kindly to me pressing mink for patch lube.

-Ray :m2c:

From a newbie: if those are "good" patches, I'm in good shape. THANKS for putting that here!!!!!!

BobW :thanks: :thanks:

Results of fouling may have nothing to do with the charge weight or the lube. I had some serious fouling problems with different lots of Goex in 2F & 3F. After having supply and serious over pricing problems with the Goex distributer about a year and half ago, I got disgusted and ordered Graf's powder. That first order came in with 2F from four different lots. I made it a point to shoot 10 rounds from lot on the next few range trips when conditions were varying, 5 heavy charges and 5 light ones. Cold or warm, humid or dry, every lot shot exactly the same way w/o any fouling problems. Since then I used it with a variety of lubes finally going with plain old Crisco for everything since it has proven to work as well as any other I've tried.

Sorry for flaming Goex but it's just the facts. I used Goex for years with only a few cans giving me minor troubles but the latest combination of fouling, supply and pricing problem finally drove me away. And yes, I did take the time to send Goex both an email and a snail mail copy of a letter explaining the lot to lot fouling problems and how I was treated by their supplier. I included all the details on everything clearly stating that I tried many different lubes, yet their only reply via email said that I should "try a different patch lube". ::

I have noticed others talkng about graf's powder were can one obtain it? I'd like to try some and see what it does in my flinters. bb75

Latest posts

Back