• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found best reason to Cast your own shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A few days back I took one of my 50cal out just to make smoke and waste time. I just grabbed the powder flask, measure, caps and a hand full of patches and .490 Hornandy RB. I noticed that a couple were somewhat easier to start and load than others were. No big deal I thought until tonight I was emptying the .490 from box to shot bag when I noticed that with the naked eye I could see several that were very different. Pulled out the calipers and started taking reading, and was surprise that I found around 20 that actually were in range of .450 up to .470 and a few in between. I kept telling my self that its just a cheap just to buy the box full than to setup to cast my own. Now I have to re-think that approach. I don't hunt but I do like to be able to shoot some what at what I aim at, that much difference can make a big difference in where and how. Anyone ever have this happen

I have not bought RB in over 6 years. I cast my own for every ML I own. I have a mould for every cal. That way I can do my own quality checks and know what I am getting. If it don't look right it goes back into the pot. You would be suprised how many balls you can turn out in an hour or so once you get going...

Well I never found a mix that bad in one box, but I did get tired of inconsistancy.
Last box of ball I bought was $8 I think, they'er up past 12 now ain't they.?
So nowadays it's not that much more to start casting than to buy ball.
The Learning curve is relativley short, and there's plenty of topics about casting and lead right here, free for the readin.

I was casting lead way way back even when I was a kid. Had the furnace and cast tin soldiers and cannons. Back in the 70's I cast my own shot then, just got back into BP in the last year or two so its time I got back into doing it all. Order has been placed tonight for molds so this will (should not) be an issue again.

Latest posts

Back