• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fowler style trigger guard on a rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Martin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't post often on here,but I lurk a lot.Lots of good info.Anyhow,I'm in the process of starting another rifle.In some of my archive pics,I have a few rifles that have a fowler triggerguard,some even with set triggers.I've always liked the look,but am wondering if this is historically correct at all?Esp. for 1780 or so.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some original rifles in the Rifles of Colonial America books with trigger guards that were used on fowling pieces.
Have a look at RCA nos. 98, 99, 102 118, 119, 120, 141,142, 144 (all from volume II)

I handled one at Williamsburg. I was thinking it was called the Bullard Rifle but I'm not sure. Mike Brooks built me a copy of it.

Mark,
The "Bullard" rifle does have a fowler style guard but I don't believe it, or many of the others, would have room for set triggers.

Incidentally, the Bullard rifle in the CWF collection was originally attributed to Fredericksburg, VA area based on a couple of fowlers by John Bullard but since then a signed rifle has turned up that makes it extremely likely that it is actually made by one of the Newcomer family gunsmiths. Newcomers worked both in Lancaster Co. PA and Augusta Co. VA.
Gary

I remember reading that in Muzzle Blast I believe. It was a very delicate rifle. A single set trigger would be a solution.

Benjamin, I made one with a fowler trigger guard, its in the "show us your squirrel rifles". I think it makes a nice trim rifle. Even with a single set trigger, it could be tough getting your finger behind it to set it. Not saying it couldn't be done, but with a good trigger installation and tuning you don't need one.
Robby

Back