• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frankenrifle. Shorty Hog gun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, this is a cobbled together, mish-mash of parts I had either lying around, scrounged from pawn shops or picked up on Ebay...

It started out with a T/C White mountain carbine stock & lock. I picked up a trigger & guard that could be off the same model, might be off something else entirely. I don't know, but I love the fact that it fit with almost no messing around!
The tang is a leftover from converting my GPR from .50 to .54
The barrel I picked up at a local pawn shop & is a .50 Investarms Hawken that was a complete train wreck. My intention was always to cut it short, but I had to keep cutting & cutting until I got to a section where the rifling wasn't destroyed! It ended up at 18-1/8" long & hopefully I reshaped the crown well enough to shoot!
The under rib & front thimble came with the barrel, but the rear thimble/sling stud came from Walmart's end-of-season-sale aisle.
The front sight I had to re-dovetail & try as I might I could not find my triangle file, so that was fun! I managed to do it VERY carefully with a cutoff wheel for the dremel. It ain't perfect, but I'm not gonna whine about it, it's the first I've ever done!
The rear sight is either T/C, Lyman or Traditions. I have no clue, it was in the bottom of my junk-bucket & I got it to fit.

So far I've only test fired it into a sandbank with 50gn of FFFG, a .490 ball & .018 patch.
I'm going to have to play with this for a while, I think. The patches looked like they'd been through a shredder! I'll figure it out though.

I'm going to be using it solely as a close-range, thick-brush gun & I don't expect I'll ever stretch it beyond 50yds

photobucket-16723-1343698212748.jpg

I'll get some better pictures up tomorrow, but to be fair, it's pretty ugly from every angle! :barf:

Beauty is in a gun's service/utility/reliability and performance. Don't be too harsh this early on. Doesn't look bad to me.

Yeah, looks kinda no-nonsense and functional to me. Just the thing for dense brush. Nicely done. :hatsoff:

I disagree: I think it looks great! :thumbsup: It certainly will turn some heads at the range! I'd be curious to hear more about it as you work it up. It would also be interesting to chronograph it...

To me, this embodies the real "frontier spirit." Making do with the resources you have on hand.

Still a lot of that going on in remote regions of Alaska. Might or might not turn out beautiful to the fashion police, but folks on the edge of civilization measure beauty differently. If it works right, didn't cost a bunch and meets your needs, it's a winner.

Well done. :hatsoff:

As you can plainly see, my gunsmithing skills leave much to be desired! I know I could've fitted everything better & at some point I may come back & redo everything, but for now I'm happy with a small, light & ridiculously cheap ( total cost for the gun; $42.50) brush gun that I can drop, throw around & generally abuse without feeling the slightest bit bad!

Horrible!
photobucket-69711-1343748682877.jpg

Ghastly!
photobucket-69713-1343748684629.jpg

Eeeeewwww!
photobucket-69712-1343748683737.jpg

Previous owners :doh:
photobucket-69710-1343748681920.jpg

Needs must! (couldn't think of a better solution.)
photobucket-15805-1343748796799.jpg

Sub MOA? I think not!
photobucket-69714-1343748685482.jpg

I like short, handy guns. A NSW Canoe gun kit is in my sights as I type. I love it when someone gives new life to old guns.

I like it! I think you did a fine job. The previous owners need to be given 10 lashes with a cat-o-nine tails for ruining the barrel!.Give us some pics when you get a hog with it!.

Okay, I HAD to go back & redo one thing; I've replaced the underrib with a full length piece I didn't know I had in the parts bucket! It now goes from stock to muzzle.

That gap was just too nasty to bear!

While I prefer longish barrels, there are times when the shorter, the better, is my rule. I like it.

Back