• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FREE Percussion Caps!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have over 1,000 of the old Dixie caps made in the '70s from my dad's estate. I think they were made for Dixie in Italy. I have shot a few just plinking. They are more corrosive than Pyrodex. I also have some caps that were stored in an old horn that are over 100 years old. I've not tried popping them yet. if worse comes to worse they'll all beat nothing.

As a kid , my Mom would send me outside into my Dad's garage workshop to keep from under foot. Early on , I found an old tin of Percussion caps marked EALY ?.. Coulda' been pre WW 1. I told My Dad I found them and he said they were old and dangerous , and not for kids. I waited until he was at the coal mine working , ok , got one of the "caps" out , placed it on his anvil , smacked it good w/ a four lb. ball peen hammer. Found that the cap fired so well , it buried itself in my left forearm. Extracted the spent Ealy cap from my arm w/ Dad's needle nose pliers , and dumped a dose of burny coal mine first aid iodine on the wound. Never told Mom or Dad what I had done , 'cause I was told not to mess w/ stuff that was dangerous. A guy has ta find his limitations.

As a kid , my Mom would send me outside into my Dad's garage workshop to keep from under foot. Early on , I found an old tin of Percussion caps marked EALY ?.. Coulda' been pre WW 1. I told My Dad I found them and he said they were old and dangerous , and not for kids. I waited until he was at the coal mine working , ok , got one of the "caps" out , placed it on his anvil , smacked it good w/ a four lb. ball peen hammer. Found that the cap fired so well , it buried itself in my left forearm. Extracted the spent Ealy cap from my arm w/ Dad's needle nose pliers , and dumped a dose of burny coal mine first aid iodine on the wound. Never told Mom or Dad what I had done , 'cause I was told not to mess w/ stuff that was dangerous. A guy has ta find his limitations.
My friend Kate did something similar with a twelve gauge shell, a bench vise and a ball peen hammer. The hammer came back with significant force and actually dented her 10 year old forehead. A scar she bears to this day. I’ve often told her I wouldn’t have expected the hammer could dent her hard head but there it is…

Ely from England made superior .22 l.r. cartridges we used for rifle club in high school so it is probably same company that made your caps.

People give me boxes of their dad's old B/P stuff that they inherit, I probably have at least 10 ten tins of old caps. I haven't tested all of the boxes but what I have tested go off most of the time but seem weak compared to modern caps, they don't have that loud "crack".

Last edited:
Back