• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Type "D" Tradegun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if someone could help me understand and picture the thumb inlet...and all references to the thumb. By the way...it is just such a gun as mr. Crooner has built and that we all discuss that keeps me focused on my intentioned goal...and that is to learn the language, appreciate, and educate myself about the people,culture,history and building of these beautiful creations...by man and God...I think it's called art. That gun is a beautiful work of art. Thanks to all.

Slippyfoote, the thumb piece or thumb inlay is the inlay that is mounted on the wrist of a gun. Since the gun fragment that I used for the pattern for this gun had no inletting at the top of the wrist I knew it had never had a thumb or wrist inlay there. Some french guns do have wrist inlays but many do not. It is a matter of further study for all of us as to which types did and did not have these thumb inlays. Every french fusil I have seen with Type "C" furniture has had a thumb inlay at the top of the wrist ahead of the nose of the comb. I have not seen them on any type "D" mounted guns but my veiwing of type"D"s is very limited. I can not say with any certainty that NO type"D" had these thumb inlays, there are almost always exceptions to any rule when talking about these old guns.
Don

I believe the plan that came with my TOW parts set showed a thumbpiece for a "Tulle" gun, I used all iron(steel) and made a very plain gun with beavertails at the end of the lock panels and one at the rear of the tang, no carving or mouldings, to me a thumpiece would have been very much out of place on such a plain gun, I also used screws instead of pins to afix the guard, the best we can do is research and use what we find as best we can to try and stay within the "norm" as we know it when trying to reproduce a reasonably accurate replica.

Latest posts

Back