• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fridays supper is looking good!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your freezer.
Use a pellet gun on those doves! I would, but the nag won't let me.

Pellet gun got me some pay back earlier :haha:

Only another several million left to go :cursing:

I remember seeing 100acre fields as a kid in Germany totally covered in them!

As we have literally HUNDREDS of cottontail & swamp rabbits on our family farm "just for the shooting", I'm stealing your recipe.
(I shot 11 "spring bunnies" one afternoon last year, dredged them in flour/salt/pepper, pan-fried them & served them with biscuits & white gravy. = Had NO complaints from the eaters.)

LOOKS like your recipe would taste GREAT.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
As we have literally HUNDREDS of cottontail & swamp rabbits on our family farm "just for the shooting", I'm stealing your recipe.
(I shot 11 "spring bunnies" one afternoon last year, dredged them in flour/salt/pepper, pan-fried them & served them with biscuits & white gravy. = Had NO complaints from the eaters.)

LOOKS like your recipe would taste GREAT.

yours, satx

fried young bunny is nicer than commercial chicken.

It was so good I got another last night (psss...22lr).....sitting ready for the oven now :thumbsup:

B.

Our bunny season doesn't start for another 3 months...

Indeed, but Sept 1st gives us grouse and doves!

Have you noticed the explosion of urban and suburban bunnnies this year?

You are 100% correct about that. = VERY TASTY.

There are so many cottontails on our farm (and they "breed like rabbits" - CHUCKLE.) that we're in NO danger of running out in this life.

Fwiw, my first cousin (a couple of years ago) took enough young bunnies in ONE spring day to feed BBQ bunny to our entire county Noon Lions Club. = Didn't seem to change the "farm population" at all.

yours, satx

I live in town; over by GW high school. There is a family of bunnies living in the common areas of my apartment complex. They like to taunt me.....

Yes, and they will shut down an entire building project for a prairie dog colony.

Colorado is strange.

You might consider a pellet gun or a XB for suburban bunny????
(I "practice on" bunnies & feral piggies with my XB for deer season.)

yours, satx

As you are in the UK, you may very well already know but my Scottish great-aunt used to make "bunny pie" with boiled/deboned bunny, new potatoes & a white sauce & cooked in a piecrust of the same sort as you would use on a cherry pie.

GREAT SUPPER!!!!

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
As you are in the UK, you may very well already know but my Scottish great-aunt used to make "bunny pie" with boiled/deboned bunny, new potatoes & a white sauce & cooked in a piecrust of the same sort as you would use on a cherry pie.

GREAT SUPPER!!!!

yours, satx

sure am bro...
Where abouts did your Great aunt live?

B.

My great-aunt Lavinia was born in a village just east of Dumfries, Scotland & came to TX, with her parents, as a 12YO girl sometime between 1885-90. - The family is listed as resident in Mt Vernon, TX in the census of 1900 & she graduated from the EAST TEXAS NORMAL COLLEGE (Now Texas A&M University at Commerce) in 1908, married, taught school & farmed in Daingerfield until her death in 1961.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
My great-aunt Lavinia was born in a village just east of Dumfries, Scotland & came to TX, with her parents, as a 12YO girl sometime between 1885-90. - The family is listed as resident in Mt Vernon, TX in the census of 1900 & she graduated from the EAST TEXAS NORMAL COLLEGE (Now Texas A&M University at Commerce) in 1908, married, taught school & farmed in Daingerfield until her death in 1961.

yours, satx

Fantastic, spent a lot of time east of Dumfries,great place it is, do you know the place exact she was from?

B.

My 96YO mother (the family "historian") has looked through every known/available source and nobody still alive knows that information.
(She found a "hint" in a diary that indicates that the little community was "a days ride" from Dumfries. - Presumably that "the days ride" was on a horse. = Maybe 20-25 miles???)

Note: My mother is what we Texicans call "spirited" (and even at her advanced age is FUNNY & SHARP of mind), once said to me, "Some days I'd like to go back a century & slap some sense into them for not writing more important details down."
(I just HAD to LOL.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
My 96YO mother (the family "historian") has looked through every known/available source and nobody still alive knows that information.
(She found a "hint" in a diary that indicates that the little community was "a days ride" from Dumfries. - Presumably that "the days ride" was on a horse. = Maybe 20-25 miles???)

Note: My mother is what we Texicans call "spirited" (and even at her advanced age is FUNNY & SHARP of mind), once said to me, "Some days I'd like to go back a century & slap some sense into them for not writing more important details down."
(I just HAD to LOL.)

yours, satx

Brilliant. The first village that comes to mind is Annon but there was some south of there. In fact alot of smokeless powder was produced in that area! Nobels powders!

B.

Britsmoothy said:
fried young bunny is nicer than commercial chicken.

It was so good I got another last night (psss...22lr).....sitting ready for the oven now :thumbsup:

B.
That's not being nice to bunnies. ANYTHING tastes better than commercial chicken.
I always look forward to rabbit (snowshoe hare) season. Just love them.

Back