• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen Sparks/Flint smashing question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before sending anything back to Traditions you should check out the "Negative experience" thread in the General muzzleloading forum. Check here.[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/198377[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebel,

Yeah....I read that post in another lifetime. That's why I suggested he mickey-da-mouse it thru hunting season. 'Cause if he tries to get it fixed now, I don't think it's gonna happen until next June.

These guns are "inexpensive" (aka cheap) for a reason. They have lock issues, barrel issues, accuracy issues, ect, ect.

So, putting a really good lock on a really cheap gun just isn't the right move.

Use the gun as is. Don't put any more money into it. If you want a better gun, buy a better gun.

Dave

Yep, I've watched a couple of friends go down that road. First replace the lock for $100+, then replace the barrel for another hundred or two if done by a smith, then refinish the wood, then--.
Well, now they have guns that work well and shoot accurately but it's still just a Traditions and if they ever wanted to sell or trade it, it would be a USED Traditions, worth less than one hundred bucks. I understand frugality, I've lived it all my life. I understand putting just a little more into it to get by. But I also understand throwing good money after bad and trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
I still feel that the best way out is to do a low cost conversion to percussion for less than ten bucks and leave all else as is. Then get a good flintlock when it becomes affordable.

OK........
1: You should never have worked on the lock or rifle at all with those problems, you should have returned it & insisted on another one.
2: Your lock may require a 3/4 x 3/4" flint rather than the standard 3/4" flint. (which is 3/4" x 7/8") Or it could require a 5/8" flint in it. Check it out & be sure.. Call Traditions....... Also try bevel up, bevel down & see if that fixes it.
3: Let the hammer down by hand, don't fire it & bust the flint. It will be obvious if it is going to strike the pan.
4: In your photo, it appears your flint is too far from the edge of the barrel & that is why it is striking the edge of the pan. All it has to do is barely clear the barrel flat.
5: I would not mess with the pan fit, get a flint that fits. If the cock throw needs to be shortened, you can take a wire welder & carefully weld a raised place on the lockplate to make the hammer stop higher than it does now. If you solder a piece in the hammer you will be doing it all again in a few months as solder is too soft.
6: The lock will never shower sparks like a Siler or a new T/C lock for that matter, it is not as good of lock. However it may function & do its job, give it a try. All that matters is it lights the pan. I had a Traditions Hawkens here one time & it has yellow sparks & not too many, but it went off every time & that is all I can ask of it.
7: I would not invest in a L&R lock for it, the rifle is not worthy of a new lock as it should function with what came with it. To me that is like buying a new car & then having to buy another new engine to make it run...... :bull: It should work with what came with it, if it don't get rid if it & buy a GPR or a T/C. Lots of good used ones around & they function quite well.

8: I think you will find a 5/8" flint placed properly & shimmed out to the proper place will do the trick. :thumbsup:

I thnk BD6 hit the nail on the head with the flint size. I am pretty sure that the Tradtions lock is supposed to have a 5/8" flint in it. Try one that size and see hopw it works. May take care of you problems.

You're flint needs to be turned over the other way. Heres a pic of my setup. The traditions kentucky uses a 5/8 flint.. The 3/4 flints are way to wide the break at the ends. When you flip your flint over, You may have to knap it down some for it to clear the bottom of the frizzen. And only a $1 per flint? im paying $2 a flint! Where do you buy yours? i need to resupply!
100_2361.jpg

I just refinished the back half of the stock.. Im happy with the way it turned out, just have to reinstall my brass "tacks" in the stock.http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l200/frontier_gander/100_2362.jpg

TOTW

Great service, fast shipping. I just got some 5/8"x5/8" flints for $1 each.

Back