• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front Sight color for Squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'll be Squirrel hunting with my Numrich .36 cal this coming season.The front sight is a shiny chrome blade.Sometimes I can see it sometimes not.It seems really bad with low light.Just curious.what color front sight do you Squirrel hunters prefer??

Not that I like this feature for it's "squirrel hunting capabilities" but I think it works well in low light and it is a brass front sight so if you could find a color like that it might work a little better but what works for me may not work for others since I still got my "young people" eyes. :rotf:

The front sight on my squirrel LR is all browned steel w/ a sterling silver insert soldered in. The face of the silver insert has a 40 degree angle for light gathering. Has worked well for 30 some years.....Fred

A shiny front sight- silver, or gold, ( brass) works, but take along a black magic marker, to blacken the sight for those days when you need a darker sight.

Light conditions control optimum colored sights, as do the backgrounds where you find the squirrels.

For instance: If you are shooting in early Fall, when lots of leaves are light yellow, Gold or Silver may not be the best color for a front sight. It can get lost in those leaves as you try to align the sights on the squirrel.

Gray squirrels tend to have a white belly, that also makes it difficult to use a light colored front sight, if you are taking shots high into trees, with mostly the belly showing. Red squirrels are less a problem, unless you chose red, or blaze orange for the color of your front sight!

That is why having that magic marker in your hunting pouch comes in handy. The ink is easily removed with a cleaning patch, and alcohol, or any lead solvent. Sometimes, it can be removed with a simply spit patch.

As for color inserts, I find that a green florescent front sight is easiest to see in a wide range of light conditions, and particularly in low light conditions( early morning and late afternoon.) Its not the first choice, however, for hunting squirrels in August and September, when the GREEN leaves are still present on the trees. :hatsoff:

Over the years I've experimented with a number of things to improved visibility under low light woods conditions. That has included factory plain sights made of dull gray steel, and sights of silver. Then I tried various "fluorescent" colors of model airplane enamel paint dabbed on like red, orange, green and white.

For month in / month out year round best compromise I finally settled on "white" as standing out the best under low light woods conditions, and to be specific, a bottle of bright white "hard as nails" ladies fingernail polish is all I've used for a number of years now.

The fluorescent ones which are supposed to have a bit of light gathering ability are really at a disadvantage in the darker woods as there's not enough light at the very best times of the day...AND...in the beautiful fall woods with all the bright colors, the colored sights didn't contrast and stand out well at all for me to pick them up quickly.

The color white however, is rarely ever seen as a natural background color in the woods when hunting...and the white front sight offered me the best / strongest contrast against backgrounds of dark green vegetation, dark gray and black tree trunks, gray brush limbs, gray squirrel fur, brown deer hair, turkey heads in the spring, etc, etc.

Other things may work as well, it’s just that for me this particular choice not only works fine but is available everywhere, cheap to have a bottle at the house and in the range/gun box, easy to apply with the little applicator, very durable, etc.
And interestingly, many of the OEM replacement front rifle and handgun sights I've seen in catalogs from places like Brownells, have a white insert in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found several years ago when eyes started to fail me I to found a white front sight best for me also..

I agree. Found out years ago that white nail polish works well for me. However the old woman took a little more convincing when I tried to borrow some of hers, and even more so when I bought a bottle for myself.
Vern

I started off with black, but that was just horrible in the August and September woods for a sight picture. I switched to a highly polished front silver blade.

I have done a similiar thing and it works very well. Just file a notch in the top corner and fill that notch with silver solder. Dress the sides down with a file and get the correct angle on the top edge as you have and it glows like it has a light on it.

I'm using alittle orange on my front sight at the range and has worked well for me but roundball has made me think about using white in the woods for fuzzy tails.

I tried the flo colors too and didn't like them till I tried white 1st then a light coat of flo orange.Really brightened it up with white as a under paint.

Back in the day I read they used a bone front sight to pick up the light. My best is on my Blue ridge .32. A thick blue one, killed two with two shots last year. Dilly

Back