• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly enjoying my TVM early Virginia, and am very pleased with its accuracy. When I go to the range, I begin by taking a few casual offhand shots to get the barrel warm and fouled, and yesterday I noticed that it was way left when I had had it zeroed last time. I checked my front sight, and sure enough, I can move it with my fingers, which tends to make me believe that the front sight is being moved from handling. Is there any easy way to tighten this up, but still be movable enough to drift without a hammer?

It should always require a hammer, or mallet, or some kind of hitter to drift the sight, otherwise it would drift on its own.

Lots of ways to tighten up a dovetail, take your pick. You can put the barrel in a padded vice, with the jaws close to the front sight, then smack the overhanging metal of the dovetail down with a square piece of steel, with the sight installed. If that doesn't work, you can do the same thing with the sight removed, just barely smack the overhang though. Keep checking the fit of the sight after hitting the dovetail. You're trying to bend down the overhang to tighten up the fit. Or, you can punch divets on the underside of the sight with a pointed punch. This technique will cause metal to poke out and take up the extra space.

You'll probably get some more methods I haven't thought of. Just about anything you do with a hammer to the either the sight or the barrel will tighten up the dovetail. Good luck. Bill

I agree with snowdragon, with the sight in place take a hammer and punch and tap the dovetail overhang on each end of each side of the rifle with the sight in place. I would try this first.....................watch yer top knot.............

My favorite method is to remove the sight and add a brass shim. 1/100th inch sheet is available at hobby stores (K/S Brand) or the legs from the old brass paper fasteners work great as well.

Failing that, peen down the dovetail . . . but that will show.

i would reccomend taking the sight out and, using a center punch or chisel, peen (or put dimples in)the sight base (the sight, not the barrel). this should tighten it up. it'll be out of sight, and if ya mess it up, its easier to replace the sight than straightening out the barrel's dovetail. i like stumpkillers method the best, shim stock is really cheap from hobby stores or automotive supply houses. just my 2 cents :v

I make my own sights, and tap a 6/32 hole in the base. One in the rear sight, two, one on each side of the blade for front sights so I can use a set screw to tighten them. This allows for easy adjustments when installing and solid mounting .Many people fit the sights loose and then when they have them centered stake the dovetails to prevent movement :hmm:

Latest posts

Back