• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a new Lyman GPR. I need to file down the front sight because the rear sight screw is about all the way backed out and the rear sight moves too much. Should I file it down half way to start? Give it to me in inches! I'm trying to avoid buying, the new sights 16aml/37ml. BUT maybe the new sights for hunting are the way to go? Or should I file it down and put some white paint on it to see it better?

puff there aint know tellin how much ya gotta file it depends on your load take a file with ya when ya go shootin agin file a little shoot see whar she hits keep goin till yer satisfied i put a dot of blaze orange on my site
weasel

Replace the front with a silver blade or just replace the blade. Under cut the rear, then round the top edge a small amount and you will in low light see the rounded portion much like a shiny bead. You can see this "bead" long after you can no longer sight with the rear.

Usually that gun comes with a primitive fixed rear sight option, I would suggest useing this and then filing the front as needed, and tapping one sideways as needed for windage,the first thing I did when I got my LGP kit was to throw the "adjustable" sight in the trash can. these will move around if bumped and cause problems whereas the fixed type will stay put once zeroed in.

tg,

How many shots did it take you to zero in the replacement sight? I think it great that Lyman gives you both.

Thanks

It has been a few years ago but I think that I only shot about 20-30 rounds with 60gr 3f to get poa at 50yds then fine tuned and played with different loads for another hundred rounds before really getting it down to a 75 yd zero, sometimes if you sight with a light load (45-50 gr.)at 25-30 yds all that is needed is to up the charge for longer ranges. most times the fixed sights shoot low and you bring the front one down, I like to start with a closer target then finish up after the barrel is broke in at a longer distance. I take a small set of homemade v blocks to the range to hold the gun while filing and some masking tape to protect the barrel (optional)

Puff, If you will measure the distance between your front and rear sight, in inches, divide that into the distance to your target, in inches. For example, sight radius is 30" and your shooting at 25 yds which is 900". 900/30= 30 so for every .001
you file off your front sight the point of impact will rise .030 then deviding 1000 by .030 you would find that it would take.033 or 1/32" to raise POA an inch. This will always be true regardless of how much powder you use or what your velocity is as long as it's the same through out your sighting in period. If you have drop figures or know the ballistic coefficient of the ball or bullet your using, you could calculate
exactly where to put your sights without firing a shot.
Deadeye

Deadeye, that's alot of math. What I did was put on the partridge sights then shot with 80grs. Was hitting low filed the sight down shot with 90grs and bingo! Three inch groups at fifty yards! Thanks for everyones advice as I am a beginner ML but the range!

Puff, you need to play with your load a bit more. That gun should give you groups of 1" to 11/2" at 50yrds. Once broken in it really should do even better.

I agree with wick...that rifle should do better than that, tinker some more with it.

Vic

I will in the long run. What's the steps as far as tinkering with the load. Different amount of powder up increase to max, then go back and change the size of the patch, start again? Whats the short of it? Besides just becoming a better shoot with iron sights.

Buy the way those groups were during a blizzard. Sitting in a foot of snow with a log for support. With 20mph winds.

Under those conditions, I find 3" groups excellant. Had I been the shooter, they may well have been 36" groups.

Glad to hear you got your front site regulated.
The math really isn't as complicated as it looks, I use this formula all the time and usually can do it in my head without pen and paper. If I have a target shot at x yds. and the rifle I can center the group without ever leaving the shop,
handy, especially when there's a blizzard blowing.
Deadeye

Puff: Ye fergot ta tell um 'bout the Chesnut size hail stones a bounc'n off'n yur noggin 'n tha snow a-fallin so hard ye couldn't see th' end of the barrel so's ye had ter guess whar it were a pointin by usin yar instinks!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

It's a soundin lik she's a comin around. Keep her up 'n she'll be good fer 'am tree rats soon.

Latest posts

Back