• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ft Henry War Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my idea of a fancier than most "War Horn" of about 1756. The horn is about 16 inches AOC and 2 1/4 inches across. I notch engrailed around the horn base and the slightly rounded inset maple base plug has a solid brass drawer pull strap knob.

The throat of the horn has simple paneled carving with a strap ring and tapered stopper. The engraving includes 8 English infantrymen being lead by their Commanding Officer on horseback with his saber drawn. Other engraving includes The English Coat of Arms, topographical etching of Ft. Henry, 1756, small tree's, frame with noting space, some extensive base bordering, running vine designs and the sentence: "NOW IS THE TIME YE HEARTS OF OAK, TO GIVE OUR FOE A FATAL STROKE!"

The horn is a true right side carry with a beautiful sweeping S curve and amber coloring.

Rick

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

LOL really like how each guys face actually looks a bit different, don't care if it was intentional or not I love it, great looking horn, and like the other poster, said You sure have a way of making a guy want to hide his own work LOL

Very nicely done,Rick. I am amused at your choice to use a common drawer pull for the plug. I am sure some purists will be choking and sputtering at such a bold deviation from HC( ie. staples). :grin: :v :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Am I correct that the latin phrase below the coat of arms means, roughly, " for God and my Country?"

paulvallandigham said:
Very nicely done,Rick. I am amused at your choice to use a common drawer pull for the plug. I am sure some purists will be choking and sputtering at such a bold deviation from HC( ie. staples). :grin: :v :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Am I correct that the latin phrase below the coat of arms means, roughly, " for God and my Country?"

Paul, Actually, small drawer pulls were used quite often as strap knobs. Many of today's reference books show some original powder horns with them.___ They are very HC/PC.

DIEU ET MON DROIT is not latin, but actually French and roughly translates to: Divine right of kings or Divine right of the king to govern.

WOW! :shocked2: How does one keep ones hand so study as to scrimshaw such beautiful work!

Your a very skilled craftsmen. I tip me hat to you sir! :hatsoff:

Back