• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ft. Loudon/Ft. Frederick Market Fairs?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom knives... :D you're going to have whiskey... :: Go ahead and throw an extra fork in your stuff and clear me a place by the fire.

SP

I will be there for the day if nothing more wouldnt mind meeting some of you

These folks know how to run a rendezvous and shoot. Really good competition, in all areas including archery and edged weapons, Highland games, a B***H of a woodswalk, nice big place to camp, and good turnout, bigger than some of the "Nationals", plenty of hootin' and hollerin', too!.

As a note, if you like the site, the Eastern is going to be there again this fall as well.

Howdy,
You are right about their shooting events, BUT the Sutlers I spoke to did not sell much and may not go for the 2005 Lancaster event. They did not sell much last year at the Muddy Run site. They will be there for the Eastern in the Fall though.

It is a shame that the events trying to have an event on the same weekend as the old Ft. Frederick Market Fair will not space their events out so the Sutlers could hit a circuit of Jackson's Mill in Weston, West Virginia, then the next week be Ft. Frederick in Maryland, then at Gobbler's Knob in Pennsylvania, and then Northern Lancaster at the Muddy Run site also in PA. Seems it would give the Sutler's a month of Rondezvous's to go to instead of trying to guess where they could do the best. Seems as though with the events lined up West to East there would be no backtracking for the Sutlers and each event would be able to give a lot more general campers the opportunity to go to events close to their homes. Then if the general campers wanted to follow the circuit they could. I guess it comes down to everyone wanting to be first in the area in the Spring. :youcrazy:

These are just a few of my thoughts on how it might be handled by all the different groups running the various events. :m2c:

Yeah, I heard about the sutlers grousing a bit. I have sort of a bias about that from past experience, in that there are certain traders that NEVER have a good week to hear them tell it.

While I do go to an event to shop in some degree, the big difference between the Market Faires and Lancaster County is that the whole, or at least pre-eminent reason for the Faires is for sutlers to make money, as opposed to the Rendezvous/shoots are for the participants to compete, socialize, etc.. Yes, I know there is some value in exposing ourselves to the flatlanders (sometimes literally as well as figuratively but that's another thread entirely), but there are a lot of campers that really have their camp pretty well set, and only buy supplies and such at events as needed. New folks of course always buy, but as far as major purchases, a LOT of them like tents, guns, etc., are made right here on the web so that you can have your stuff ready to go rather than pick it up at camp. Personally, I could care less if there were 10 good traders and not 50 of them with much the same wares as the next guy. I've said it before, a huge part of the authenticity issue is that new folks figure if it's for sale at the event, it must be OK.

As far as scheduling, again I agree to some extent. Lancaster County (the old Northern Lancaster Rendezvous) and Fred are sort of the "senior" groups in this time frame, and they always seemed to be on different weekends. Then, when it looked like Fred was done for, GNAR came in at the same end of April deal. Not sure who changed what, but again, if the traders want to sell they'll peddle their stuff to the flatlanders and daytrippers at the Faires. I'll probably swing through one or the other myself to see some old friends and maybe some trade silver. A few will go to Lancaster, maybe in the hopes that with reduced competition, they'll get a bigger slice of the pie. One things for sure, while this year may be sort of an upheaval, eventually it will sort itself out. The Faire with the most public will win in their time slot, the traders follow the scent of money, and sooner or later one of the events will wither. The Rendezvous doesn't depend solely on sutlers, and the fact that so many of them ended up coming to N. Lanc was that the event grew so large with shooters that they followed their nose to it. Their absence won't have all that much of an effect on the results.

Primitive 3, I see you are in Glengary, I had the fun of camping there twice and the honor of being on staff there as well, including once for a very good friend. If you see Whistledick tell him I said hi.....he once appointed me as his TLC, to coordinate with my considerable tact the efforts of at least one notable trader to ensure his total happiness. Ask Bill, it's a good story...we had a LOT of those.

Howdy,
I will agree with your thoughts about some Sutlers not having good selling weekends.
At Ft. Frederick, the main reason for the event was as a money maker for the fort itself. In the 1st 9 years of the Market Fair, $265,000+- was made. You are right that the Sutlers made a lot of money, but I think most of the rondezvous specific items were sold to participants. Granted they sold a lot of items to the public such as knives, firearms, books, cloth, etc.
I think the public is necessary for our hobby, sport, lifestyle or what ever you want to call it to gain new people. If you look around there are a lot more grey-beards than young bucks and does.
Lancaster has always had a good reputation as a shooting event and sad to say it, I have never had the opportunity to attend due to schedueling conflicts.
If whistledick is who I think it is, I'll pass on the story.

Back