• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ft St Jean Baptiste event

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This coming weekend is the winter event at Fort St Jean Baptiste, Natchitoches, LA. It used to be called a gathering of the French Marines, or a 18th cent Christmas event, but it is evolved into a French-oriented living history affair ca. 1740s-50s. A juried event by inventation only as far as participation goes--but visitors are welcome--come see us and sit down to visit. The post is a exact copy of the 1730s one from old plans. The post was originally built in 1716 as a trade center for the deerskin, bear oil and horse trade--as well as to protect French interests in the region. New Spain was just 14 mi away and their post at Los Adaes can also be visited [although not rebuilt, there is a nice little museum/visitors center there].

This is great site and great event put on by great folks....it's been a couple of yrs since I attended, but just reading about it takes me back down there....have a great time Mike and say "howdy" for me to all...Mitch

I attended this one a few years ago and it was a good time. I wish that I lived a bit closer.

CS

It is going to be COLD (for us southerners) here this weekend, so if you make it come prepared. 20s in the morning and maybe upper 50s late. My thin wool capote will be strained--may have to go with my old wool weskit instead of my new linen one!

Stay warm!

While I have PC cold weather gear, I cannot make it this time -- work requirement for Saturday 800 miles roughly east.

CS

Well, it was cold (20 deg), but we all had a great event! A lot of French Marines and militia turned out--the most uniformed troops I have seen here. We had a bunch of tourists, including at least three busloads of school kids (grade school and high school). I wish all of you could visit our fort here--it is a fine example of an early 18th cent French outpost. The only thing we really lack is a number of Indian reenactors--this was a major Caddo village (Natchitoches) and there should be Indians here trading! My wife mixed and baked 8 loaves of bread in the outdoor kiln (the French loved their bread! and so do I!), and being next to that fire kept her warm. We had the usual questions--is that a real gun? a real fire? etc...one kid asked why she was making bread--why don't you just go to WallMart? Oh, well...the little girl seemed shocked that you actually had to MAKE things in the old days...ouch, I must be getting old--I can remember making things....

Mike,

Went to the Fort this year in an effort to find information on state (or near state) events. Took a few pictures - have to check for your face. Did meet one fellow - Bob Henderson that was very informative otherwsie it was another black hole. Had hoped to see more - I'm from Missouri rendezvous country.

I am sorry to hear you say it was another black hole. I have heard that was a great event and have been wanting to get there. I use to live in New Orleans, long before the hurricain. But perhaps this one might be more of what you are looking for[url] http://nrlhf.org/sepr2007.htm[/url] The NRLHF/NMLRA South Eastern primitive Rendezvous. It is over in GA. Or the Alifia is goming up next month in Homeland FL.[url] http://www.floridafrontiersmen.org/[/url]

Miki

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawk,

Look up the Bayou Muzzleloaders just north of you in Woodworth. Their contact info is Tom Cogburn or Tom's Guns in Boyce, Louisiana.

I shot with them for several years. They put on some good shoots; host the state shoot and support many youth activities. A worthwhile group.

CS

LA Hawk said:
Mike,

Went to the Fort this year in an effort to find information on state (or near state) events. Took a few pictures - have to check for your face. Did meet one fellow - Bob Henderson that was very informative otherwsie it was another black hole. Had hoped to see more - I'm from Missouri rendezvous country.

I am not sure what you mean by "black hole" or what you were expecting. It is not a buckskinner event for sure. Most of the folks that used to attend were members of the ALRA and were up on regional events and activities other than the fort reenactment/living history events. Most of these guys left over some kind of politics with the state park folks. The contingent present now includes a few of the old crowd plus several new ones (like my wife and I, who have only been regulars for 2-3 years). My wife was the lady handling the bread making at the kiln. I was the gate guard much of the day Saturday...I thought we had a good group there for the winter event. This event is mainly an educational event for "tourists" and my main criticism was that few of the living historians brought along period crafts or other activities to demo this time. Plus no vendors showed up. This is a state historic site and not a buckskinners hangout--so I am not too surprised that you didn't get alot of info--plus, there really isn't alot of MLing or buckskinning going on in Louisiana as compared with some other states. Crackstock mentioned the shooters near Alexandria, I believe. I have mentioned the EARA up in Arkansas. There is also the Piney Woods Mlers--an east Texas buckskinner club that is active. There is a group in New Orleans that does the 1814 battle reenactment. My old club, the Bayou Pierre Traders of N. LA is defunct. I would like to see your pics of the post....

Latest posts

Back