• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full Power Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowderBoom

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi

I pulled out my Ardesa Trapper (.50 patriot) yesterday to have a couple of shots. I have always had a problem with the first few shots being underpowerd but yesterday i realized that i had no lubricated patches, so i decided to shoot balls with un lubed patches. :shocked2: The pistol shot like a demon. Full power from the first shot, and then even more serious power afterwards. Is this safe???????? :hmm: Cleaning was relatively easy, i put a wet (just water) down the barrel after every 6/7 shots. Afterwards, i gave a full stripdown and saw no signs of excessive pressure or cracks. Can anyone tell me if this dry patch story is dangerous?

What do you mean by full power? I guess the lubeless patches were creating a tighter seal giving you more bang and recoil?

Doesn't sound terrible if you can tolerate it, but I think I would want to know how much powder you were using.

Also were the shots more accurate or was it just cooler to have a bigger bang with more recoil? I always stray away from mag loads if possible. I like my guns too much to tear them up. Don't get me wrong I like a good kick, but just not an excessive one. But no matter what the shots have to be accurate or all I am doing is wasting powder.

I usually shoot with 40gn FFF, but i decided to drop to 30gn. Im not scared of recoil but i dont want to blow my gun or myself up. Shots are very accurate, i can hit a coke can every shot at 20 meters. Point of impact changed a bit (shoots slightly left), but can easily be fixed. I used to use beeswax mixed with pigs fat to lube my patches, but if it is safe to do, the unlubed patches work for me.
Oh yes, i dont use caps but small pistol primers. They give much better ignition (I have been using primers from the begining so they cant be responsible for the bigger bang).
Thanks for your input.

MIGHT be perception as opposed to reality, had 4.5" setion of .54 barrel left over from another project, local smith being in good mood turned out a "Screw-Off Barrel Pistol" from it.

Chamber area takes up to 50 grains of Swiss 3F behind a .550 Ball (Oversize for the barrel, better seal) and dab of lube above.

With the full charge, AINT no doubt ya just touched one off! Yet perfectly safe, chamber is 4140 heat treated.

30 grains is the basic paper killin load, 50 grains when ya want some attention! "What i gots here pilgram, is a Tyrvaldsen .54 screw-barrel, the most powerful pocket pistol inna world and'll take yer haid CLEAN off.....don't knows that i capped it or not, so ya gotta ask yerself....

Really, i suspect you are perfectly safe with your load, just SEEMS taller cause of extra blast&recoil, i've shot POUNDS through this little gun and no trouble at all!

Back