• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fun True Story from this weekend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend was the KY early muzzleloader season. We were hunting some private property that is easiest to access through public hunting ground, and not bump deer from their beds. I was loaded down with the 54 flinter and primitive dress (plus the lovely hunter orange requirement). As we pull up to the parking area there were several campsites set up but no one was moving yet. After coming out from the morning hunt around 11:30 some campers/hunters gave us odd looks then struck up a conversation with us curious about the rifles and clothing. So here I am in buckskin pants, brown hunting frock, bag, horn and the trusty 54, add in the orange vest to meet chest and back requirements and orange bandana on the head. My buddy is dressed pretty much the same. We had to cross a few streams so we were wearing muck boots plus it was 38 degrees Saturday am no reason to hunt with wet feet, plus ya know sent control. This guy looks down at my brown muck boots and sarcastically said I bet Davey Crockett didn't wear muck boots. I quickly spouted off that they were modern moccasins, we said yeah right. I said you never heard of "Muck-assins" one of guys laughed so hard he shot hot coffee out his nose. After that they offered us a hot breakfast. There was no shots or deer taken by us but it was still a good time and the interaction with other hunters and the weekend.

On a separate note we also do themed hunts agreed on by our group every year. In Michigan last year there where 8 of use were hunting a giant 211-acre farm and we all agreed to hunt in old school red flannels, from the ground only in brush blinds (no pop ups), sitting on ground, bucket or milk crate only (yes getting "Waffle Cheeks"), boat cushion or hot seat was authorized. Weapon was a single shot (H&R type) or double barrel shotgun, or a lever rifle iron sights only. PS you got cool points for an ugly Elmer Fudd style hat. This years theme that was voted on by the group is old school camo treebark or various other very outdated camo types, bonus points for one piece style zip up coveralls, and boonie or Fred Bear type hats. We find the themed hunt brings a lotta fun to deer camp, and great conversations at the buck poles, as the locals cant wait to see what we show up as.

Back