• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Function Firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
It's always a happy time when I "in the white" function fire my latest build which happens to be another .50 cal, X 46" bbled Bucks County. All told....3 shots were fired. In spite of macular degeneration in both eyes and the sights "eyeballed" in the center of the bbl, windage was "right on"....don't really sight in the LRs....it'll take a little filing on the front sight which the new owner can do.

The Chambers Late Ketland and the 1/4" dia. White Lightening liner gave extremely quick ignition as expected. It seems the ctsk in the tapped hole needs to be deeper than w/ the 5/16" dia to achieve at least a .04 TH land.

So...on to the final sanding, the "ever lasting touch ups" and have decided to color the stock w/ ferric nitrate and possibly one of Dangler's stains...really don't know yet.

LMF browning will be used, although tried some aging by browning first, completely removing it and then applying 44/40 cold blue which is rubbed w/ 0000 steel wool as the 44/40 is being applied. Up in the air at this time.... plenty of time to think it all out while sanding.

Have a .50 cal. X 46" "B" weight Rice bbl {same as on the above LR} sitting on the rack. Will order a #5 red maple blank from Dunlap's and then make a decision as to what will be built....due to failing eyesight, probably a fairly plain LR.....Southern style or Bucks County.

Just thinking "out loud" and thanks for reading.....Fred

Fred, I was shocked and saddened to hear of your macular degeneration. Is there nothing that can be done to slow or reverse it? I cannot imagine the inner turmoil of not being able to build or shoot your rifles any longer. However, you can take pleasure in knowing that many of your beautifully executed works are out there giving pleasure to others.

Thanks for your concerns....and I'm lucky in that I can still build LRs, although it's getting "iffy". Nothing can be done w/ my "dry" type of macular degeneration. The "wet" type is a lot worse than the "dry" but injections into the eyeball somewhat improve "wet" vision.

I think building plainer MLers is presently where it's at w/ me. The details are difficult and the carving is very tiring.

No complaints though....at 82 I'm fortunate in being able to even build a "plain LR". ......Fred

Hi Fred,
I am sorry that your macular degeneration is progressing. I hope you are able to carry on because you are such a fine builder. I greatly look up to your work. The up side is that you don't have to proove your skills to anyone so if you decide to focus on plainer guns, so be it. They will be beautiful and we will appreciate them. Have you thought of building some fowling guns? They tend to have less carving and inlays but can be a great challenge with respect to their architecture. And they are beautiful. Good luck Fred and I look forward to your next project.

dave

Thanks for the "fowler" suggestion...never thought of them in that way.They do have appealing architecture. Also thanks for the kind words.

The Chambers Late Ketland was good out of the box....and the 1/4" dia. White Lightening liner works just as well as the 5/16" dia which I used previously. Somehow using this combo kinda takes some fun out of shooting a flintlock.....no problems and the ignition is so quick that I "miss" a little delay......Fred

Fred, look around & find some ? 1999 or 2000 made Elephant powder. That will slow down the ignition time & is sure to piss ya off ! :rotf: :rotf:

No matter what You build, it will look good. You are one of the guys that does it til it is correct, and it always shows. :grin:

I always shoot the rifles I build as soon as I have a lock & trigger in them. I have experienced 5 bad barrels, out of many builds, & I want to know way ahead of time if I have a barrel issue to deal with.

Good Luck with the eyes & rifle building. :thumbsup: I always enjoy seeing your work. :hatsoff:

Keith Lisle

Hi Keith....I don't really miss a little delay that much. :hmm:

That's probably the best time to function fire a MLer....on the next one I'll follow your advice.

Thanks for the kind words.....Fred

Sorry to say....a pic now could put a hex on the LR. Would like to oblige, but "superstition" takes precedence over picture taking at this time :wink: ....but, thanks for asking.....Fred

Very sorry to hear about your eye condition. I look forward to seeing this current build when complete. I totally understand the superstition thing. All the best to ya.

Have never taken a pic of an "in the white" LR mainly because it's not complete. Also....a hex might descend on this LR and the future owner would be puzzled as to why his LR has a "mind of it's own" :grin: Surely will post pics when it's finished and thanks for your concern.....Fred

Will look forward to seeing the rifle when ready....always a pleasure to look at one of your rifles. :hatsoff:

Fred,
Like we used to speak of, go toward SMR, fowlers, and now, the 'Kentucky' rifles......no carving, and some could be HC even w/o PB!
Walnut or maple, some even had all iron mtg's, plain ladies!!!

As soon as Charles gets me my next barrel.....I'm starting a 'Lexington Kentucky!
:grin:
Marc

flehto said:
Sorry to say....a pic now could put a hex on the LR. Would like to oblige, but "superstition" takes precedence over picture taking at this time :wink: ....but, thanks for asking.....Fred

Gotcha! But please do put a few on when finished. Your work is always amazing and I also always look forward to your posts!...Mick

Fred, I like the fowler suggestion Dave made. Also, consider English sporting rifles. Some of those have quite plain, but very sexy, architecture and not a whole lot of carving. They are engraved heavily, and I would love to see what your engraver could do with one of those! I have one of the "Great British Gunmakers" books that I would be glad to loan you if you'd like to examine some of these types of rifles.

Either way, keep up the fight! :hatsoff:

I just re-finished a rifle with Aquafortis, Laurel Mountain Nut Brown, Laurel Mountain Ebony Toner, and oil finish. If you like a real dark finish. You can see finished results on page two here at gun builder's bench, at Ugly Rifle.

This was first time using Aquafortis, but I was very satisfied with the color.

Latest posts

Back