• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me figure out what guns are this photo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help me figure out what guns are in this photo mainly interested in the handguns. These ole boys the Reno Bros committed the world's first train robbery Oct 6 1866 in Seymour Indiana in Jackson County Indiana. I know they committed the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd train robberies long before the James gang did. I adore my local history and Jackson Co is filled with such. Anyway I THINK the ole boy sitting in the chair to the right has two Colt 1860 due to the backstrap being longer but what do you think? The fella standing on the left the handle is not as long so thinking that could be a Colt 1851 Navy. What do yall think?
Reno_Brothers_gang_1.jpg

Help me figure out what guns are in this photo mainly interested in the handguns. These ole boys the Reno Bros committed the world's first train robbery Oct 6 1866 in Seymour Indiana in Jackson County Indiana. I know they committed the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd train robberies long before the James gang did. I adore my local history and Jackson Co is filled with such. Anyway I THINK the ole boy sitting in the chair to the right has two Colt 1860 due to the backstrap being longer but what do you think? The fella standing on the left the handle is not as long so thinking that could be a Colt 1851 Navy. What do yall think?View attachment 350494
All I can say is the picture was taken a few years later than 1866.
I see a belt with cartridge loops, a 50-70 trapdoor Springfield, and a possible double-action cartridge revolver.

These types of photographs were staged in photographers' studios, mostly. Whether or not the firearms in the picture were what they actually used in events is doubtful to me. Props were on hand to be displayed - we see many examples in photos of uniformed soldiers/sailors/etc. still floating around with guns/knives/etc. evident that didn't walk in the studio with the subject (s).

They're fun and interesting, but historically accurate, possibly not. Even Matthew Brady staged a few. Photographers typically had galleries where, for small fee, people could walk around and view all sorts of pictures.

The first train robbery was in Randolph County Missouri at the city of Allen in August 1861. Capt. Poindexter a Confederate Officer, took the money from a train of the N.E. Missouri R.R. The money had been taken by Union authorities from the bank in Fayette Missouri. The money was returned to the bank by Capt. Poindexter.
Poindexter possessed other skills, a persuasiveness of word and manner whose value his superiors recognized. Soon after Wilson's Creek, the Captain was detached on recruiting duty, returning to his home country in and around Randolph County. There his first action of note was on the sultry afternoon of August 28, 1861. Leading a small detachment of Confederate troops, he held up the North Missouri Railroad at Allen. They reportedly came away with three trunks of money, totaling $100,000 in coin, which belonged to the Missouri State Bank in Fayette. A subsequent newspaper article revealed that the money shipment was engineered by a Unionist "committee," in an attempt to spirit the coin out of Missouri, and away from the potential hands of Secessionists. An odd twist to an odd story is that Poindexter's Rebel rabble is subsequently reported as having returned the money to the Fayette bank. Peculiarities aside, this may be the first train robbery in American history.

Last edited:
I kinda feel foolish by posting this photo but glad I did as well. There's no way this is the Reno bros then. Three of the brothers were dragged out of jail cells by vigilantes that broke into the New Albany Indiana jail and hung in 1868.

I kinda feel foolish by posting this photo but glad I did as well. There's no way this is the Reno bros then. Three of the brothers were dragged out of jail cells by vigilantes that broke into the New Albany Indiana jail and hung in 1868.
No need to feel foolish! I joined this forum to learn and you can’t learn without asking questions. A lot of kind knowledgeable people here.

Back