• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Function of a stepped wrist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had been doing some minor restoration on fowler for a friend; when I returned it I spent some time mulling over a few pieces in his collection--which leads me to my question. Does a stepped wrist serve any functional purpose or is it just a matter of architectural style?

What Rich said. It's similar in function to toe line incises or beads. Purely decorative, but a good and subtly stated one.

Thanks guys! I was looking at a rifle dated 1775, an unsigned rifle from probably late 1700s/early 1800s, and a SMR from probably around 1830-1840 at a guess. I could compare them and see the step melting away, but wasn't sure if there was originally a purpose. I was almost wondering if it was supposed to be some kind of surrogate pistol grip and I just wasn't holding it correctly.

Thanks! (The thought did cross my mind that I was holding them wrong, sort of the equivalent of folks trying to shoot a deeply crescent buttplate off the shoulder instead of their arm.)

Back