• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur back pack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but here goes:
I recently purchased a brown fur covered back pack with leather straps and metal buckles at an antique store. It is square in shape and the inside is lined with what appears to be a canvas like material.I was hoping to use it as either a treeking item or with my F&I persona. In doing some research on the item I found it was a WWI era swiss made backpack and the fur is actually pony fur (or hair). With this in mind and if you remove the fact that it is a WWI era, my question is can this type of pack still be PC for the period I have intended. I would think this type of pack was similar to the type the british redcoats used with the exception of their fur being black in color. Did they use packs or a rolled blanket consistent with the long hunters?
Keep yer powder dry and the wind at yer back.
Two Turkey :peace:

Not having the pac to examine, this is a difficult question. We can still make an educated guess.

We know there were rucksacks available to the colonists. European paintings of the 18th century show two strap rucksacks in common use. We have military use documented, and all healthy males were subject to militia duty, therefore exposed to the equipment.

Place your pac on the table or against the wall with no other distractions present. Is there anything present on the pac that would not have been available in the year of focus? Do not look at streaching the fact (well they could have had gromets or they would have used them if they'd had them!) Are all of the materials visible of natural origin? Does it fit and look natural with the rest of your gear? Is the stitching too perfect(if it is visible)? (remember that good craftsmanship was prized in this era, not everything was crude)

This is a good place to put the 10 foot rule into effect. Does it look right when you stand 10 feet away? Would it look right if you saw it on another reenactor 10 feet away?

:m2c:

Ghost,
Thats a great test and a great rule of thumb to live by. They can be found on E-bay under WWI or WWII military backpacks if I can't get a picture to download for display. The problem is trying to get it away from my wife since it is a christmas present (for me)and may already be wrapped or hidden away.
The reason I purchased it is because I thought it was much older then it turned out to be. Only when I took it to an auction house that has a guy that specailizes in military hardware did I find out what it really was.
In regards to the look question, I would have to say that yes, in my humble and rookie status it would fit into the F&I and possibly the Rev. war period. Again I was going on the pieces and parts I have seen that make up a redcoat uniform. The straps are real leather, there are buckles and no snaps or swivels attached. Remember I have been able to narrow it down based on the markings,to a swiss pack made prior to and up through WWI, so there is not ALOT of modern technology involved.
Thanks again for your patience and guidance,
TT :master:

I would agree with what Ghost says if it looks good to your eye or if you have any text with pics of the british rucksack compare it . What kind of buckels are on it steel,brass and or crome plated you may want to change them and try to make or get something made to fit into your time period better . Please post a few pics if you can this sounds interesting :thumbsup:

As I cannot seem to get a picture to load onto the post, I would ask that anyone interested in looking at this pack go to Ebay and enter the item number in the search block.

Item number: 2283732829

That will provide you with front and back pics of the pack in question as mine is identical to the one pictured.

Thanks for your help and your interest,
Two Turkey

As Always a little more checking on this forum allowed me to find a close representation of the item I have described. I have provided the URL for the G. Gedney Godwin catalog. If you go to this site and then click on the link to the KNAPSACKS,HAVERSACKS & HUNTING BAGS link, you will see a goat covered enlisted mans knapsack. The only difference between mine and the one pictured is that theirs has white straps where mine are brown. (http://www.gggodwin.com/catalog.htm)

Hopefully you can compare the two pictures (the one from Ebay and the one from the catalog)and provide a ruling. If I were to use the looks good test I would have to say that it is primative enough to fit into the F&I era, which is why I wanted it in the first place. BUT, as we all know wanting something because it looks good doesn't always make it right.
I look forward to your feedback,
Two Turkey

Hey Twoturkey that looks like it would pass there are some differences but the look is there some one else may feel diff about it but hey give it a shot ! :imo:

sorry to be the one to burst yer bubble,, and again I lack diplomaticasy,(spl?),
but NO WAY,,,you may well have a collector item from WWII,( but just cause its gots hair on it ?? )

That thing don't fit in F&I. (period) You knew before ya asked! But,, It's good ya asked,,

Have been doing British Ranger here for the past 15 years . Hate to have to agree with sumtacks but there is nothing I have in any of my docs that looks even closely like this .
Does look like a great regular camp pack though.

The ranger packs were a basic rectangular , gusset type with leather or linen straps and chest strap . I can send you a few pics to your email if u like .

:m2c:

111.jpg
709.jpg

I also hate to be a ramrod-in-the-mud, (I'd rather use my tongue for a cleaning patch than agree with Sumtacks ::) but the Rev. War. pattern knapsack was goat, and white, and designed like the above.

Which is not to say that militia or privately equipped units had nothing resembling your find.

One of my favorite "haversacks" is a grey Swiss treated canvas medical or gas-mask bag. I just don't wear it where it "counts". Looks old, until you spot the stencilled cross and six-digit number on the button down flap. :redface:

Rev war artillery used brown hair.
45.jpg

F&I war styles
360.jpg

114.jpg

Thanks , I was looking for some F&I pics but can never get this photo thing to work , Anyway the AWI pics you had fit the bill , along with the shoulder slung canvas single stra .
Tks again .
Stews :imo:

. . .sorry to be the one to burst yer bubble,, and again I lack diplomaticasy,(spl?),

You? Not you! :eek:

Maybe so, but you're ours and we've come to understand you. Or, at least stop shooing at you on sight.

On occasion it's good to have someone who will tell you the ugly truth. Offhand I can't think of when that occasion might be, but it must happen. :winking:

Do these breeches make me look fat?

Back