• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur hats and hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tnlonghunter said:
Well, they make rabbit-fur lined Mad Bomber hats with blaze orange on the outside. I could definitely see using one of those if I was hunting in really cold weather. I just use a regular blaze stocking cap. I don't figure that wearing skins or furs or other more "PC" clothes will make me shoot any straighter, so I don't sweat wearing orange or camo (during bow season).

I think what he was initially getting at was the question of whether or not fur affords some sort of camouflage advantage that could be exploited. The safety concerns that came up were due to the obvious logic that the risks are much greater than the benefits in this case. I don't think PC concerns entered into anyone's thinking, but this certainly would be the place to bring it up.

So, is natural fur a good camo? Most likely it works the same way a deer hide does, which is by dispersing light. So I would say in that case it probably is. Would wearing fur afford some advantage over regular camo clothing? Safety aside, probably not much. I think it is more likely the deer had no reason to focus on this hunter because he was not moving and none of the other senses were alerted. I would bet that if there had been movement, the fur "camo" would have been of no use despite the light dispersing qualities.

I don't think it would be a good idea to wear anything that might look like an animal. Blaze orange is standard attire whether required or not. There are just too many people with no clue what the heck they are doing for one thing and accidents can still happen even when the person is acting responsibly.

It's been said already; but, we all must fully identify our target and what lies beyond the target even if it means no shot. The biggest problem I see is shooting in heavy grass or brush where none of us knows for sure what is beyond our target. In these cases it's far better to pass on the shot or set-up with treestands to limit bullet travel.

i take orange cloth and wrap it around my head over my cap. but in bow season there is less people out and that person would have to be close to shoot you and they would be able to identify you then.

I've got several fur hats that I wear hunting when it's cold enough. I've got one of muskrat, a beaver hat and an otter. During gun season I wear blaze orange and still wear my fur.

This is muskrat

flintbuck_005.JPG

The Otter, the Beaver hat is in my avatar

flinthead%20buck_new.jpg

The bow is snake backed osage, 72#@26" made by John Strunk from Oregon. The points on the arrows are flint, knapped by Don Gilson. The arrows are cedar shafts, with self nocks, Wild goose feathers, points and nocks wrapped with deer sinew. I made the arrows.

Back