• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur/Pelt friendly caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KW

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents, a question for those who are willing to share their wisdom. I love hunting with my .58 Hawken and I have been running into some really good fur bearing animals, and was curious if anyone has a suggestion of a fur/pelt friendly cal. since I want to start getting some pelts for myself and for sale. Was looking at squirrels to yotes (maybe wolf, MT it's legal) out to 100yds on the outside (taking into shot placement of course). Was thinking of .36 or .40. Will this be possible or should I look at more "modern :barf: " ammo?

36 to fifty yards or so. 45 to 100.....but frontal shots without an exit hopefully.....find out what min powder charge will get u there.

Or..........rimfire. sorry but thats the truth as as i see it if you want minimal fur damage. Round balls act like a punch sometimes and put a full size hole at entry. My buckskin leggings sport a round hole just below the knee. I bet you it even mic's to the caliber. Pointed bullets slip in. My. 02

i would vote 36 for small critters and maby even a wolf. but i dont know squat about hunting wolves or even yotes for that matter.

-matt

I would hunt with the most accurate rifle I owned and make head shots when possible! Geo. T.

My buddy's full time occupation is trapping and shooting animals for the fur. He swears by the 22 mag when shooting animal that are on the paw or walking, running if you will. Ff there in a live trap or another style trap and still alive he uses a 22 short round since it doesn't make an exit hole. I know its not a muzzleloading round but answered the question best I could.

More of a thought than an awnser but you mught try reducing powder charges in a .36 or .40 to achieve a less volitol exit hole also...? :hmm:

Wattsy said:
More of a thought than an awnser but you mught try reducing powder charges in a .36 or .40 to achieve a less volitol exit hole also...? :hmm:

Great answer but.....he said out to 100 yards.

22 cal is the only answer that makes sense to me.

I've shot a few yotes with .50 cal and found that you retty much get a .50 hole in and a .50 hole out. Maybe the same effect with a .36 or .40? :confused: Dunno for a fact. Then there is the matter of effectiveness at 100 with the smaller balls. Don't know the answer there as well.

FWIW, I found the .50 hole in yotes to be a lot more tolerable than the .22 in and five inch out that I get with my .223.

Good luck with those 100 yard shots on squirrels! :blah:

Wasn't to worried about the entry/exit hole, figured .36 or .40 is better then .58 at least on the foxes and bobcats. :wink: Just looking at if one of the two could do it without to much damage. Leaning towards the .36 over the .40, thoughts on if this is a good direction? Don't have much experience with the smaller calibers out of rifles.

I have a 36 and a 40 and have killed yotes with both and couldn't tell much difference. Neither done a lot of pelt or tissue damage but I think the 40 would carry out a little further. Neither was loaded very heavy though.

I've shot three coyotes with my .54 flint and percussion. That round ball does punch a big hole on exit but nothing that you cant sew up after tanning and to be honest you cant tell unless you turn hide side out. I just got a .36 cal flintlock for Christmas that I'll be putting together the next few months and look forward to shooting something with that. For modern firearms I usually tote a .22 mag as a min. I've lost and seen to many get away with just a .22 lr

I've shot three coyotes with my .54 flint and percussion. That round ball does punch a big hole on exit but nothing that you cant sew up after tanning and to be honest you cant tell unless you turn hide side out. I just got a .36 cal flintlock for Christmas that I'll be putting together the next few months and look forward to shooting something with that. For modern firearms I usually tote a .22 mag as a min. I've lost and seen to many get away with just a .22 lr

I've been just recently experimenting with a .50 cal. CVA stalker caplock which was restocked, and had the bll. cut to 21 in. It had decent accuracy and took a deer with the longer 28in. bll. Working on an accurate load now with fffg and RB,mostly for fox and coyote.

Be interested to here about your results. Have been toying with the .36 cal maxi ball route. Know it isn't "traditional", but thought that it would keep holes small while providing enough oomff to bring them down quickly. Also saw a more modern route to that to....just dunno if I want 36 cal sabots, sort of goes against the point.

I'll let you know what happens. May be that I'll switch to a lighter caliber also, but I,m a firm believer in keeping things simple!

Back