• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur skin possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David LaPell

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was at Fort William Henry today with my son and I noticed one of the guides/interpreters was wearing a fur possibles bag. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but I really like this design. I have a decent size muskrat that would work but not sure how to sew up a fur pelt compared to leather.

furbag1.JPG
furbag2.JPG

I was at Fort William Henry today with my son and I noticed one of the guides/interpreters was wearing a fur possibles bag. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but I really like this design. I have a decent size muskrat that would work but not sure how to sew up a fur pelt compared to leather.

View attachment 331878View attachment 331879
Easy way: turn it inside out and stitch it. Then flip it right side out. You'll be stitching the skin side and not the fur side so it won't be much trouble. I haven't done one with fur but, for the leather bags I make, I'll glue it together around the edges and let the glue dry. Then use a two prong leather punch and go ahead and make the holes all the way around. Takes a few minutes but much easier than forcing the needle through for every stitch. Once it's sewed up I'll turn it out. I usually also put the strap or strap connectors on before stitching the two bag panels together though. I find that to be less agrivating.

View attachment 331878View attachment 331879
Fur bags are cool 😎 but I've never been a fan. I keep thinking about them getting wet in the rain 🌧.

Not to be picky or adversarial, but his bag wasn't what we, at least in this century, call a possibles bag. A possibles would be more like a haversack.

When I made mine during the last century we called it a possible bag, now this century I still call it a possible bag. That covers two centuries. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!
😉
Not referring to yours Phil. Was referring to the belt bag in the first post.

Not to start a fight but please consider that much of what you see at Fort William Henry is inappropriate. The entire physical structure is something that remains out of the 1950s and is pretty historically incorrect (blacktop anyone?). The last time I was there the Grenadier interpreter was wearing black, high-top canvas sneakers as part of his uniform. Just saying...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I have called them a possibles bag for over 50 years.
When I first got into BP back in 94 my wife bought me a TC suede bag at the local gun store. I didn't know anything then so, when it said possibles bag right there on the packaging, I assumed that's what it was. It is actually too small for a possibles bag but just right for a shooting bag for small calibers. I don't know what to call them now as some guys say rifle bag, shot bag, shot pouch, shooter's bag... So I still refer to it as a possibles bag sometimes. It's just a bit smaller than the possibles bag hanging off my other shoulder.

Latest posts

Back