• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Furry four legged companion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to know who is accompanied by a dog while hunting. I hope this is the correct forum for that. Photos, breed and and anything else about your dog would be appreciated. I am currently between dogs but I have hunted with and owned many creating mostly fond memories. Please share yours.

All in the rearview mirror for us. Just too much hassle at this point in our lives, much as we love dogs. We raised and trained beagles for years, mixed in with bassets here and there. All great rabbit dogs and we ate a lot of rabbits as a result.

Then there were the succession of duck dogs. I never had a pure lab or Chessie, but a few of the mutts our kids dragged home decided they were duck dogs. And they managed to put some purebreds to shame on the water.

But perhaps the most fun of all were our working cow dogs- a heeler here and there, but mostly borders. They turned out to be among the best pheasant dogs I've had the pleasure to hunt. Didn't have a single nose between them, and could care less about anything without 4 legs and hair. But one of their working commands was "Stay By" which told them they couldn't wander more than about 20' out. Go for a walk through the brush with a shotgun, and they'd flush pheasants as well or better than any bird dogs I've hunted (some very good ones, as a matter of fact). Sticking feathers in their mouths was beneath them, but they'd always run over to give a good sniff to birds you downed.

I'm a beagle man, over the years I've had some great hunting companions. winters are long here in Michigan but a good rabbit hunting dog makes them seem short.

Dolly and rabbit.JPG

We are currently awaiting a black English labadore puppy, His name will be GUNNER. Good linage in field and trial parents. He will be ready Jan. 10th. I have hunted over his past litter mate a yellow lab named ABBY for both pheasants and geese she is a great dog. Will do some training with him for geese. Our Old English sheep dog passed last fall, I will not live without a dog.

Past beagle owner here too, I've had a fair number over the years, but pictured are two of the best I've ever had, male and female littermates from one of my females and my brother's good male.
IMAG0011 (1).JPG

I've got another English setter pup on the way, really didn't know that I'd ever own another dog after losing my male setter who was that "one dog" for me.

Here's a photo of my old setter in action. He had the best nose and the most smarts of any dog I'd ever been around. Our eastern grouse are psychotic and paranoid, but he almost never bumped or missed a grouse, he was as close to perfect as a bird dog gets.....
croppedwoodcock-1.jpg

Hopefully the photos that I've posted don't look as enormous on everyone else's screen as they do on mine. ;) If so, I'll remove them so you don't have to scroll.

Little Jess tags along as you all know.

Tia holds a place in my heart still to this day. She did everything. She would pluck them for you if she could!
Rest in peasp my lovely sprocker.

B.

Last edited:
GEDC0153.JPG
I could fill up a lot of pages with pictures and stories about my dogs. I've had beagles I ran rabbits with, hunted pheasants with them and ran fox all with the same dog.

Coon dogs more than I can count.

Bear and cat hounds.

Bird dogs of just about every breed. A Lwellin setter brings back many fond memories in the grouse woods and pheasant fields. Now I have two drathaars that go hunting with me about everyday of season. We hunt pheasants,blue grouse, ruffed grouse, Hungarian partridge,chukkar, sharptailed grouse and sage hens.

Here's a photo of my old setter in action. He had the best nose and the most smarts of any dog I'd ever been around. Our eastern grouse are psychotic and paranoid, but he almost never bumped or missed a grouse, he was as close to perfect as a bird dog gets.....View attachment 1440
Love a pointing dog. Great pic.

Jerry

We hunt pheasant over a wonderful little Brittany named Truro. Used to hunt over a German Shorthair, but the breed is too big to carry out of the woods as we and the dogs get older, I feel the Shorthairs held a point better but would get bored and start chasing deer scents and getting too far away. The Brittany may not hold as steady and as long, but is plenty birdy, loves to hunt, and is a better companion at home.
Someday I'd like one of those little "fice" (? Spelling?) dogs some folks hunt squirrel with in the south. And have always loved the hunting line strain of the Viszla. We used to have a lady here in N.W. CT. that bred them to stay and work close on patridge in our thick cover. Her dogs were super smart and close working. Really wish I had gotten one.

GANGREEN, the female is the one you have your arm around or I don't know Beagles. beagles.jpg

Back