• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gain Twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the Birthday wish...my wish was for a early Spring...but let me tell you, it's gits harder and harder blowng out all them dang candles! :haha:

Gee, thanks for your birthday wish of an early spring. Next time, point the other direction during the wish, since it bounced off you and landed in MY neighborhood - it's 85º outside right now. :idunno:

If I remember correctly, Mr. Pope, who was an excellent shot by most standards, also made excelent barrels. After a set of matches where he and a select few others "cleaned up" using gain twist bbls the fad was on. And he made a tad of money making them.
Years ago, as a young competitor looking for an edge, I asked a very well known and respected builder of benchrest barrels that very question. The reply from him and another top bbl maker were the same as from one of our international BP record holders.
"For "consistant" top accuracy a barrel must be uniform in diameter, have the correct internal volume for its caliber, AND be uniform in twist. This composit reply is from the top barrel makets and competitord in the world.
Thats good enough for me.

The other big question is "Why is black powder barrel rifling so deep in the groove?" This answer is tricky... As long as you're shooting conical bullets, most agree that conventional 0.004" grooves is better due to minimized bullet deformation. With round ball some think that 0.004" is just right and works fine. Traditionalists argue that the 0.012 to 0.015" rifling gives the patch a better grip and a place for the material to go.

You pays your money hope the results are worth it. Personally I would prefer conventional 0.004" rifling in MY CHOICE of twist for both applications.
Would look forward to hearing from any PRB shooters with modern groove depths of 0.004". - JJ32.

Back