• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Game Cameras

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like game cameras. I keep two out most of the time. Usually leave them run a couple month's before checking and then move. Not much game around. Coyotes passing through once in a while. Waiting to get a picture of Mothman or Bigfoot. :grin: Mothman was sighted 3 places with in 1/2 mile of my house. I expect it's about an even chance Mothman or a nice Buck. :(

Larry

larry wv said:
:grin: Mothman was sighted 3 places with in 1/2 mile of my house.

I saw a special on TV about Mothman and how he (or maybe there's a bunch of them) are living on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi only 25 miles South of me. In the summer when we cruise by that big imposing bluff on the pontoon boat I keep an eye out for him! Scary stuff!!! :wink:

Then again, that whole crew of morons on the show that were insistent he was there, but never found any sign, left the bluff unscathed, so I'll probably be alright! :rotf:

Now back to game cameras!

"What is traditional about game cameras?"

Is a travel trailer traditional on a deer lease with running water and electricity, PC/HC?

I use cameras to monitor the critters on my ranch and those folks who are not wanted.

My wife is happy with the camera pictures, she is entertained whether PC/HC or not.

I find them worth while when sharing them with the Game Warden and the Biologist.

Ever seen a buck in velvet in February, I have pictures.

I use them on my farm. It is quite interesting to see what goes bump in the night. I have gotten photos of what you would expect most of the time from deer to Raccoons and skunks. We have a lion here but no photos yet. I can set one up at my hay yard and see who is trying to get over the fence and eat my hay and what time they come to do it. I have one that monitors who comes in my lower driveway area and uses my loading chute for a toilet at 2:00 in the morning. Another might get photos of a road hunter who shoots from the county road and runs onto the property to drag off the deer they shot. They are really quite useful for a lot of things. I don't think they give you any huge advantage in hunting as you still have to be there at the right time which from my cameras photos is well after the day is dark. I can read tracks and tell you if a doe or buck has been there recently without the camera but the camera can tell me if the neighbors dog came over or if the black truck that dumped off the litter of kittens had county plates or came from further off.

Holy cow, sounds more like ye need some claymore mines around your farm perimeter...cannot believe someone is crapping in your chute...man you need to set up some kind of trap for their manure!

I love my cameras. I have pictures of elk, deer, coyotes, bear, lion, bobcats and, of course, rabbits and other rodents. I do not use them for hunting, however, beyond helping me understand wildlife behavior.

I put out about 5 cameras back where I hunt behind my house in Shawnee National Forest. Keep them out pretty much all yr..except during modern gun season and spring gobbler season when the risk is too high for someone to come across one and take it home with them.

Although, it doesn't' matter to me one way or the other, the cameras haven't helped me one bit in killing a deer. Most likely because I'm too hard headed to hunt the spots I get most of pictures of good bucks. I'll always over think even a picture with a nice buck in a scrape and figure he won't be there, but instead somewhere else and hunt there.

Finally after I've hunted all my best spots I will come back and hunt where I had pics of them..by that time I've nocturnalized them all.

I do get some good pictures with the cams though..especially off a deer carcass after I've boned it out. Eagles, hawks, many, many bobcats..even bobcat fighting a coyote and running it off the carcass.

Since there's no baiting in IL. the cams are kinda like another hunting season, trying to figure the best spots, trails, etc., to get pictures. Haven't been to good at that this season either..only really good buck I got pictures of was in July for the 3rd July in a row and never see him again after I walk in a change the cards..til next July.

hotB_zps7e065fad.jpg

SnowCat_zpsdf9ff90c.jpg

BadCat3_zps5f1ec34f.jpg

BadCat4_zps38d833f8.jpg

BadCat5_zps14256158.jpg

I've used cameras going back to the 35 film cameras. I have never seen an advantage, to where a camera helped me kill a deer. I already knew they were there. Seen them a lot in late August and during Sept. but pictures went nocturnal, during actual hunting season. I just enjoy seeing, the coyotes and other critters, that I seldom see during the day. Close ups of the bucks is just a motivator.

Back