• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Game Processing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
People talk about hunting, dressing & traditional camping, but how many of you do your own processing of the game that you harvest. Isn't that what they would have done back then? What do you make out of it? :hmm:

I have always processed/cut up my own game. Over time, I have accumulated most of the equiptment needed. (cutting tables, band saw & hand saw, grinder & stuffing tube, slicer, knives, etc.) I still need a good sausage stuffer, a good smoker & a cooler for when the outside temperature would cause the meat to spoil too quickly. I tried one time to make kielbasa, but it didn't turn out very good. I want to get set up better to make sausage, kielbasa, hot dogs, etc. instead of paying to have that made for me. Anyone got any good receipes for slim jim's, sausage, kielbasa, hot dogs, bologna, etc.? Submit your receipes to be posted in the receipe area of the forum.

I do all my own processing no matter what it is, and do it with just my fillet knife. I average 6 deer a year, probably 60 ducks/geese at least a couple turkeys and countless pheasant and grouse. Some years I'll go down to texas and shoot hogs and even Nilgai, beleive it or not all that meat won't last halfway through the winter, my 4 kids and wife love it and prefer wild game over store bought meat.

We do all of our own processing, grinding, mixing, packing, and tanning. One of the ways we make sausage is to mix 60% read meat to 40% wild hog and a slight splash of home brewed apple beer which seems to make stuffing cases go smoother. I like to use Fiesta Brand Vennison Sausage seasoning for ours. Getting ready to make about 200 lbs of it come monday morning. Lota fun and a family afair.

I used to make my living cutting meat, so it comes as second nature to do all my own. I am too fussy to let anyone else handle my wild game.

We process ours too.
Deer are knife cut and trimmed. No saws are used.( except to cut the legs off above the elbows prior to skinning). Just don't care for bone dust that much. Most is cut into steaks and roasts and meat for kabobs. Everything else gets ground up.
We mix 1/3 fatty ground beef to 2/3 venison, and it's double ground.
We'll do a batch of ground venison with slab bacon mixed in. Makes for good bacon burgers.

We also are believers in vacuum sealing everything. Deer, Turkeys , clams, and veggies. We're not big fans of freezer burn.

playfarmers said:
I used to make my living cutting meat, so it comes as second nature to do all my own. I am too fussy to let anyone else handle my wild game.

DITTO.

Today wild game is a treat of course and I choose to make the entire critter into jerky. Backstraps and all.

texcl said:
my 4 kids and wife love it and prefer wild game over store bought meat.
That is very nice. Not only is it better tasting, its better for them.

We've always processed our own here. As I write this, my uncle is hanging a Doe he got this morning. I know he does a lot of a breakfast sausage but we don't here anymore. Everybodys watching diets so the venison is deboned and packaged into cuts with some ground for use as hamburg with nothing added.

We do our own, process into pieces to grind and roasts which can be brined and smoked or steaks, they store better as big chunks we double wrap ours in plastic wrap and paper, For the ground stuff we just put it in zip locks and wrap them, keeps them from leaking all over. Today is the last day of season here and hope to put a couple of nice big does up it would ease my mind and wallet. I perfer game as does my family I find store meat lacking flavor.

My wife and I have worked up several deer this season. I've currently got a nice doe hanging in the garage that will soon be all jerky, the sliced kind and not from ground venison. I just slit both sides of a big garbage bag so that it can be taped down over the kitchen table. Using a large cutting board and several different knives, it doesn't take too long to make steaks and roasts. I don't use a saw except to remove part of the legs before skinning and split the pelvis into two hind quarters. I separate out the individual muscles, cut them into steaks or roasts, and my wife wraps. Slicing up a whole deer for jerky does take 3-4 hours, however.

In the 63 yrs. that I've killed and eaten wild game, no animal has been processed other than by me. No "tame" meat even comes close to producing gravies that are so intense and savory as those from venison and rabbits. In past years my wife and I held an annual "game fest" which included venison, elk, ruffed grouse, woodcock, cottontails, snowshoe hares, squirrels and sometimes pheasants. All were prepared separately and all were delicious. I think that venison jerky, various styles of venison sausages and ground venison that's used in chili might be subterfuges for some people that really don't like venison. The main reason I "do my own" is that professional meat processors sometime mix up the meat and I don't want somebody elses mistakes, especially asre sausage. Also the deer processors saw the meat and I always cut the meat from the bone and don't end up w/ bone and marrow debris that has to be scraped off. Lately it seems processing deer is big business and the prices are ridiculous, but then again, a lot of deer hunters have been spoiled by super market packaged meat.....Fred

The very thought! of using a bandsaw or any kind of saw when processing my deer makes me SHUDDER! :shocked2: :cursing: :nono:

You are driving bits ( some microscopic) of bone into the meat, taking with it bacteria that spoils the meat!

I have always processed my own deer. I debone the meat, using knives, from the carcass, and scrape the bones of any sizeable scraps to go into my sausage, or " venison burger".

My sausage recipe can be found on the forum where the recipes are located. Its a simple method that does not require a sausage press, or fetal pig intestines to make. You can change the ingredients to make ANY Kind of sausage you desire.

If you want a good "hamburger " recipe that will knock out your lights, try grinding the venison up with Beef suet, so that the meat will hold together, but then put 5% by weight of ground ham into the mix. This adds moisture, and flavor to the hamburger, but its next to impossible to taste as a separate entity or " flavor". ( Grind the venison, suet, and ham separately. Then, mix them together and grind them a second time.) You can cut out tin cans of various sizes as pattern forms, if you want to make hamburger patties of the same size and thickness for freezing and later use.

The front shoulders and leg muscles on the deer I have killed are not very big, and have lots of sinew, tendons, and cartilage( white tissues) around and attached to them. I cut the large muscles up into chunks, to make Venison Stroganoff, or a dynamite venison Chili. The loins are kept as is, for either steaks, or roasts. The Rear muscles are saved as roasts. The rest goes into the grinder.

Much of the time I spend processing the meat is spent removing fur- its gets everywhere, and you can't do much about that. But, I am also removing White and " Blue " tissue, as well as any fat, or suet. Wild game fat has enzymes in it that continue to work on the meat, if left together, even when frozen. The meat is toughened, and soured by these enzymes. Get the fat and sinew OFF the deer. I also wash the meat, to remove blood, and then soak the large cuts to pull blood out of the meat before freezing. The meat is dried, then wrapped in plastic wrap, and then put in sealed bags for storage. I age the large meat in my refrigerator for a week, rotating, draining washing drying and replacing the meat in the bowls and pots twice a day- in the morning when I am getting ready for work, and again in the evening after dinner. This drains more of the blood from the meats, and makes it taste better when cooked. It also tenderizes the meat naturally. The bowls and pots are covered in the refrigerator, BTW.

I have no interest in cluttering my freezer with bones. I even bone out birds, and small game for storage, if they are not eaten the day they are killed. If I want bones to use for various projects, they are set aside, boiled to remove the remaining flesh, and then stored. That boiling is done OUTSIDE!

I hope this gives you some guidance, and suggestions. I don't understand why anyone would pay anyone else to process their deer. Its really not that difficult to do my way.

BTW, I have had wild boar processed by "professional", and the meat was terrible, and filled with all kinds of bone bits, hair, fat, and sinew. The Second boar saw me remove all the cuts from their packages, soak them, clean them, and remove all the hair, sawdust, bits of bones, sinew, gristle, and fat, and Bones, and then repackage the meat for storage. The second boar tasted better, and was more tender than the first.

Good words Paul. We havent purchased meat since 1998 after buying our ranch. I have never had any of our wild game prossessed by a packing house, we do it all ourselves. A lot of friends take them in to have them done, some do a great job, others will give you back some one elses deer, or worse. We make our own jerky, cut not ground, we built a smoke house and will set up wild hogs for hams and what not, smoke our own sausage, and smoke bucked skins at the same time. Prossessing a deer or other critter is to easy to do and yer not paying some one else to do what you can do yourself. The way I see it is that we always know exactly what happens with the animal from the time it gets shot to the time it hits the table. Besides that, its fun.

paulvallandigham said:
The very thought! of using a bandsaw or any kind of saw when processing my deer makes me SHUDDER! :shocked2: :cursing: :nono:

You are driving bits ( some microscopic) of bone into the meat, taking with it bacteria that spoils the meat!

I have always processed my own deer. I debone the meat, using knives, from the carcass, and scrape the bones of any sizeable scraps to go into my sausage, or " venison burger".

My sausage recipe can be found on the forum where the recipes are located. Its a simple method that does not require a sausage press, or fetal pig intestines to make. You can change the ingredients to make ANY Kind of sausage you desire.

If you want a good "hamburger " recipe that will knock out your lights, try grinding the venison up with Beef suet, so that the meat will hold together, but then put 5% by weight of ground ham into the mix. This adds moisture, and flavor to the hamburger, but its next to impossible to taste as a separate entity or " flavor". ( Grind the venison, suet, and ham separately. Then, mix them together and grind them a second time.) You can cut out tin cans of various sizes as pattern forms, if you want to make hamburger patties of the same size and thickness for freezing and later use.

The front shoulders and leg muscles on the deer I have killed are not very big, and have lots of sinew, tendons, and cartilage( white tissues) around and attached to them. I cut the large muscles up into chunks, to make Venison Stroganoff, or a dynamite venison Chili. The loins are kept as is, for either steaks, or roasts. The Rear muscles are saved as roasts. The rest goes into the grinder.

Much of the time I spend processing the meat is spent removing fur- its gets everywhere, and you can't do much about that. But, I am also removing White and " Blue " tissue, as well as any fat, or suet. Wild game fat has enzymes in it that continue to work on the meat, if left together, even when frozen. The meat is toughened, and soured by these enzymes. Get the fat and sinew OFF the deer. I also wash the meat, to remove blood, and then soak the large cuts to pull blood out of the meat before freezing. The meat is dried, then wrapped in plastic wrap, and then put in sealed bags for storage. I age the large meat in my refrigerator for a week, rotating, draining washing drying and replacing the meat in the bowls and pots twice a day- in the morning when I am getting ready for work, and again in the evening after dinner. This drains more of the blood from the meats, and makes it taste better when cooked. It also tenderizes the meat naturally. The bowls and pots are covered in the refrigerator, BTW.

I have no interest in cluttering my freezer with bones. I even bone out birds, and small game for storage, if they are not eaten the day they are killed. If I want bones to use for various projects, they are set aside, boiled to remove the remaining flesh, and then stored. That boiling is done OUTSIDE!

I hope this gives you some guidance, and suggestions. I don't understand why anyone would pay anyone else to process their deer. Its really not that difficult to do my way.

BTW, I have had wild boar processed by "professional", and the meat was terrible, and filled with all kinds of bone bits, hair, fat, and sinew. The Second boar saw me remove all the cuts from their packages, soak them, clean them, and remove all the hair, sawdust, bits of bones, sinew, gristle, and fat, and Bones, and then repackage the meat for storage. The second boar tasted better, and was more tender than the first.

The very thought! of using a bandsaw or any kind of saw when processing my deer makes me SHUDDER![/b]

Im not sure we agree on the why but I agree that you should NEVER use a saw on wild game....Hurts the flavor for sure! Bone it out and go from there.

Hello from Germany,

I'm processing all my game, mostly roedeer, myself too. This includes skinning and butchering. Then I pack it in freezer packs and sell them. Here in Germany we are allowed to sold harvested game to private people or restaurants.

Regards

Kirrmeister

My son and I do at least 2 deer per year and either an elk or a 1400 pound beef. When we get the beef we have some friends with cattle. Many things happen on farms and ranches that end up with the cow being sold for hamburger. Some cows are fence jumpers, some break legs but I won't buy these unless it is a fresh break.
We get them for .10 to .40 cents per pound. Most of the time we grind the whole animal into Hamburger. The grinder we use is a Cabelas 1 horse, with the hamburger tube attachment that fills the plastic tubes. This system makes short work out of the whole hamburger thing. With the last 1300 pound beef we did we split it 4 ways with the guys I work with. It took me 5 hours to bone her by my self. I kept the large bones in the legs. I like to freeze them and give them to my dogs in the winter. I also give them some of the fat and other non edible stuff. They seem to winter better with the more natural feed, and bones. Ron

Wattsy said:
paulvallandigham said:

The very thought! of using a bandsaw or any kind of saw when processing my deer makes me SHUDDER![/b]

Im not sure we agree on the why but I agree that you should NEVER use a saw on wild game....Hurts the flavor for sure! Bone it out and go from there.

I've heard so many people say that & I used to believe it because of that. Then I got my band saw & started cutting my steaks with it. No one here has ever noticed any bad flavor in the saw cut steaks. :nono:

paulvallandigham said:

Baloney!!! :bull:
Bone marrow is actually good for you & there are people who purposely eat marrow. The tiny bits of bone aren't noticeable or going to hurt you either. As far as bacteria, there is no more bacteria introduced to the meat because of a saw cut than there is because of a knife cut! The meat is going to be cooked to kill any bacteria anyway. :shake:

We bone out some, but we will take a couple hind quarters every year to cut up for steaks. What we do is put an entire hind quarter into the freezer until it is solid. Then I cut it into steaks on the band saw. The parts that dont make it for steaks are then used for ground meat. :v

I don't understand why anyone would pay anyone else to process their deer.

I try to do most of mine, but time and temperature are often an enemy that can't be beat!

We have had to deal with 90 to 96 degree temps during ml deer season. Even keeping the meat hanging in camp is sometimes not an option when temps in the hunt area are getting over 80 deg. One hot season we killed three deer over a period of four days and had to bring each deer to town to a processor on the day it was killed to protect the meat.

We have one frig dedicated to cooling venison with a second one if needed. Oct/Nov can be some crazy weather here so we use the frig. Don't take much time to strip the hide off and quarter the animal and place it in the frig. Set at the right temp and the meat rotated once a day, it can be kept in there up to two weeks if need be, giving you plenty of time to hack at it.

Paul I watch a butcher remove the hair with a propane torch, just like I use to do with chickens. Worked slick. Dilly

Back