• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Game Processing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bone marrow and the fat carries the odd taste. If you trimm off every bit of fat you can, it is the best and one of the healthiest meat out there. Do not bind your burgers with beef fat, that will cover the taste. Just form good burgers, about a 7/8" thick. Baste those with a mix of 1/3 Leann Perrins Worcestersauce and 2/3 melted butter, before they are turned to the heat side. This mix prevents the drying out but will not cover the natural flavor of the meat. Do them medium and they are perfect like a good steak.
Butchering a deer and cleaning up all the meat takes about 1.5-2 hours. Then another 45 min to 1 hour packaging.
A lot of people who did not like venison until then like it this way!

Or maybe they just like the Worcestershire sauce.

The deer here in Central Illinois are eating corn and soybeans. Using Beef Suet does not cover up any of the taste. I have cooked both venison roasts, or loins, and then ground venison with beef suet as a binder. There is no difference in flavor or taste. In fact, the folks who have not eaten venison before who try my roasts, or loins, comment about the taste of corn in the meat!

IMHO, using Worcestershire sauce is going to change the taste of that venison burger.

I was unable to keep the deer burgers together when I bbq grilled them until I mixed in beef burger or suet, I tried eggs, oatmeal, etc....As far as deer go the doe I butchered this week I removed by approximately 1/3 solid Fat by volume off the skinned carcass, filling a large stock pot, basically I got about 15-20 pounds of fat, 23 lb burger and 25lb by roasts or chunks for steaks. THis is typical for a mature doe as this one had fawns and had been nursing reciently. I know it is healthier to keep deer lean but I hate to see good vension fall between the grates of the bbq.

That is similar to my experience. I added about 5 lbs of beef suet to 16 lbs of venison trimmings, to bind it together. I had some fresh Venison burgers the night I completed the mix, and then made sausage out of the rest the next day.

Back