• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Game trail cameras

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering getting one of the digital trail cameras. Does any one have any suggestions on good ones for the money or warnings on ones to stay away from? Does any one know anything about the Eagleeye cameras that are made out in Oregon. Sort of pricey but use Sony cameras. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar/NC

Oscar,
If you've never used a trail camera I would recomend get the standard 35 mm type first and see if you like it. You can pick up a cheap one on E-bay from 35-50 dollars. I say this because I thought I wanted a digital one too, but soon after found the 35 MM served it purpose and I could by more of them. I also bought B/W film instead of color, it saves a little bit of money.

SP

Oscar,
You can build your own P41 camera or I can build one for you for a fair price. Guys on the[url] HuntingPA.com[/url] bulletin board know me and have purchased cameras off me and are very happy.

To build your own check out the camera forum at www.hagshouse.com You will have to register to see the forums. I'm on there as "flintlocker". The people on there will point you in the right direction. Also, Jeff aka "elkaholic", owner of EagleEye cameras is a member of the forum and offers parts for sale and help in building them.

Here's a couple pics of a recent P41 camera I put together.
P41_BG1_a.jpg

P41_BG1_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted one until a couple of fellows I know had them stolen. Thats alot of money to leave in the woods in my little world. I'd love to have one, but I just can't justify the cost. On a funny note, one of my friend's sons who doesn't always think well, told his dad that all he had to do is have the film developed (digital camera), and he would have a picture of the guy who stole it. :hmm: :crackup:

A few years ago a couple guys knocked on my door and were wondering if I had noticed anybody parked down the road where they had a camera set up in my neigbor's woods. They were not in my woods and I didn't notice anybody strange parked by the woods they were in, but somebody snatched their camera too. Last spring they came back to ask if they could chase a turkey that had run into my backyard and said they never recovered their camera.

I don't know if they got the turkey they were chasing either!

What is most bothersome about all of this is that there is no public land adjacent to any of the woods around here so I have to conclude that whoever took the camera was either somebody knowingly or unknowingly hunting the land without permission (which doesn't seem to happen very often up here), a poacher that nobody knew about or it was somebody who had permission to hunt that land. I hate to think it was the latter.

I have been lucky so far, 5 years setting them out, but it is always in the back of my mind. I try to stick them out of the way and in thick cover.

An here I though we was bein invaded by alien, one-eyed turtle robots with flash-weapons what would capture yer soul.

Guess I better stop shootin 'em offen trees where I see 'em. :haha: Have to switch to cardboard thurty-point buck cut-outs to stick in front of the eye. That, or carry my laptop out and upload this into the camera. ::

gamecamera.jpg

Thanks to all that responded. I think I will go to WallyWorld and get a cheapo outfit and play with that the rest of the winter and then get serious again in late summer next year and then make my mind up.

Thanks again,

Oscar/NC

Just some advice, don't wait until late summer. There's this little thing called supply & demand. One is short in the late summer and the other there is too much of. If you plan to build one or have one built the first 1/2 of the year is the time to do it. First 1/4 is really a good time.

Latest posts

Back