• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gap in patchbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAN87

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post. New to forum.

I recently put together my first flintlock, a Kibler woodsrunner. Everything went fairly well for a first time build considering I don’t consider myself especially handy. I do have one issue. In trying to fit the patch box I think I got a little over zealous with sanding and I have noticed a small gap on the top. It is not very noticeable but I a little worried about rain ect getting in because I do plan to hunt with it. Could use some recommendations on possible fixes? Or is it something I should even worry about? Will include a plain pic but it’s hard to see so also will include a pic with a piece of paper going in it to show gap. Thanks for any help!View attachment IMG_5596.jpegView attachment IMG_5594.jpeg

It is a separate piece of wood that moves, there will be a gap between it and the stock. Your top view looks normal but a side view is what will tell more.

It is a separate piece of wood that moves, there will be a gap between it and the stock. Your top view looks normal but a side view is what will tell more.
Thanks for the reply. It is hard to see in the pic but that one specific area has a larger gap than the rest. It’s the only place the paper can make it in to the patch box. It may be nothing to worry about. I just wanted some other opinions

Of course there is a gap there, leave it alone...Wood can swell and patchboxes can stick, there needs to be a gap there. Seal the underside and the inside of the box to help reduce swelling. I would also notch the lid to make it easier to remove.

This is also why brass patch boxes evolved.

Back