• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Geese And Shot Pattern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been shooting my Pedersoli (Cabelas) double 12ga for a litle over 2 years now, and when I started, I used 70 grains by volume measure of 777, #11 cap, 1/14oz shot. earlier this year I went back to black powder. I worked up a load and patterned, and I ended up with a 85gr 2F Goex, 1 1/4oz ITX either #4 or #6 shot load, two 1/8" wool cushion wads on top of powder, one over the shot, and man that threw a nice tight pattern #4 ITX a little better than the #6 ITX, and penetration at 35 yards in the tin can was very good.

The early goose season opened up and my sone and I went, after 2 flocks flew by with no shot oportunity, a third flock came over at 25-30 yards, my sone got the lead goose, and I shot and hit the tail end charlie goose mid section and my second shot brought it down. I will say, the pattern is way to tight :grin: for that distance, the hole in both breasts was huge. Guess I will have to let them get a little farther out before I pull the trigger. Sorry no pics this time, I didn't really think about it until I got home and cleaning the birds.

RM..what kind of penetration were you getting with the itx shot?
Last fall I was getting 3/4 penetration on body shots with #6 Hevi-shot at 35 yards.shooting 85 to 95 fff goex.
Very interested in your results ..have not done any patterning with ITX shot yet..... Thanks...Dan

I would say, 9/16 it was over 1/2 body penetration, after picking the bird, I was surprised the first shot didn't drop it, the second messed up the head pretty well.
I have some #5 hevi-shot, but I am liking this ITX

Back