• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

getting brass black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 5th Kibler kit is in the mail. My son took my .58 colonial home with him so i need to build another one for me to p,ay with.
I am thinking about making it really dark with tannic acid and leaving the brass as black as i can get it. I have used Jax black but was wondering if there was something out there that would make it any darker. i wish i had the talent to make steel hardware for it.
i am just not a big fan of the brass. the one below was as black as i could get it

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
I used the Birchwood Casey brass black on a traditions, worked well it came out very dark but I rubbed it back so no photos of it unfortunately. I don't think it's a super durable finish but it does get quite dark.

My next brass darkening endeavor I'm gonna try black powder residue. It seems that wiping the brass with used patches from swabbing the bore tarnishes brass pretty good but slowly. So with this in mind I'm going to take a small amount of water in a bucket to clean my barrel. I'll use the same water to flush the bore a few times to get the concentration up. Then I'm gonna try soaking brass parts in it and see what happens. My thought is that if it works. It will be a more durable finish than brass black. While brass black works good the finish is thin and will rub off easily.

I’ve used the brass black and it does get it dark, it just doesn’t last. It’s easily rubbed off during use. I wonder if you could top coat it with a matte or satin clear lacquer to keep it from rubbing off so easy?

I just start shooting my .54 woodsrunner and wiping dirty cleaning patches on the brass. It doesn't take long to look darker. How dark you want it may change how long it takes. But, it works fine and its blotchy, right up my alley. I have some JAX I used on a half stock rifle, It worked as well. But, doesn't look as "worn" as the BP goo does. If you really soak your parts in JAX it will turn black.

Here is the ramrod with 3 applications of brass black followed by 3 coats of matte clear lacquer. I think it will hold up much better. I tried rubbing it and it didn’t affect it.

Attachments

• IMG_6557.jpeg
    IMG_6557.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Wouldn’t it be easier to get iron mountings
I think brass was left shiny on old guns. I don’t believe it will flash in the woods and give a person away. Iv taken deer and small game with brass mounted guns without difficulty

Wouldn’t it be easier to get iron mountings
I think brass was left shiny on old guns. I don’t believe it will flash in the woods and give a person away. Iv taken deer and small game with brass mounted guns without difficulty
For the ramrod yes, I’m going to make one with steel ends so I can brown to match the pistol. I really dislike brass, and it was more cost effective to treat my investarm hawken with brass black than order new steel furniture.

I always use dirty bp patches to darken my shiny brass.
I took a torch igniter put some black in it sparked it off and repeated several times. After a good coating of burnt powder I place it in a mug of microwaved distilled water. drop the brass in for a day. It will diminish that shiny bright look giving it a more mustard look to it.
Of course through usage it will become better and better.

.... I have used Jax black but was wondering if there was something out there that would make it any darker.....
??? Jax Black will make it really, really black if you follow the instructions properly. Usually with Jax Black you have to scale it back. If Jax Black isn't making it dark enough for you I'd think you're either not following directions (including proper surface prep) or you're wanting something that's way beyond what brass would look like after typical age patina. The brass buttplate shown in your pic is not nearly so dark as Jax Black will do.

You can find a copy of this book online free for download. Pretty cool. Not quite as many recipes as Angier’s bluing and browning book but a lot of great (free) content.
IMG_4860.png

I bought this S&B here from another member about a year or so ago and it looked to be unfired. The brass had a SUPER bright bling but that bright finish has diminished after several firings and wiping with dirty patches with BP residue/junk. It gets darker with each use.

IMG_9607.png

Yes you can.
Like steel not all brass has the same make up. Some will blacken nicely some not so well. Definitely make sure it is clear of any coating. I like to buff with scotchbrite the clean with acetone. I will soak test for about 15 min. Rinse with water and let sit for a day. I use gunny sack to rub out then. Repeat if needs to be darker. Dull clear spay paint to fix it. Screws are another story.

Latest posts

Back