• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting Ready for Antelope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swinehart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy:

Bought the Renegade this spring from a member and am getting ready to use it on antelope this Oct. in WY.
P8100004.jpg

Note the fancy range table and pad

CopyofP8100001.jpg

Had to wait for the range rabbit to get out of the way. Then had to go down and move the box cause grass was in the way.

P8100003.jpg

One shot so far at 100 yds. Using my son's hunting hood for a spot. I better find something else before I actually hit dead on.
I am just starting to work up a load and see what works the best. Any suggestions?? I am thinking of not using a PRB and go for a more longer ranged bullet like a sabot and 200 grain pointed.
Had 90 grains of FF and spoon ground FFF for primer.

Mike

If you go for the sabot, you'll have to carry the discussion to another site. It's against the rules of discussion for the site.

Stick to the all-lead conicals and you'll find lots of help here from some guys that really know what they're doing. You'll catch some guff about all-lead conicals from a couple of guys that believe it's not a traditional muzzleloader if it's not shooting a round ball, but they're running up the back of the site rules in that. Smile politely and ignore them while waiting for the guys that can help.

Mornin Mike; Short comment, #1, we need to know caliber! #2, a PRB will shoot just fine way beyond the capability of open sights. Antelope rarely weigh over 120#s so horsepower is not a question. Your ability to get in range is the restriction in this instance. The cover where your go'in to hunt will dictate this! Be honest with your own ability. The game deserves that much. Any open sight weapon is a short range weapon. Your kill zone is about an 8" circle. Your max range will be where you can hit it 10 out of 10 shots. No more. Hope you have a great time on your antelope hunt, i hunt elk in Colorado most every year. The country, the freedom, and the animals are simply awesome. Smell the smoke!!!!

3gunmike said:
Howdy:

Bought the Renegade this spring from a member and am getting ready to use it on antelope this Oct. in WY.
P8100004.jpg

Note the fancy range table and pad

CopyofP8100001.jpg

Had to wait for the range rabbit to get out of the way. Then had to go down and move the box cause grass was in the way.

P8100003.jpg

One shot so far at 100 yds. Using my son's hunting hood for a spot. I better find something else before I actually hit dead on.
I am just starting to work up a load and see what works the best. Any suggestions?? I am thinking of not using a PRB and go for a more longer ranged bullet like a sabot and 200 grain pointed.
Had 90 grains of FF and spoon ground FFF for primer.

Mike

I was jusst fixin to say you must not like that blaze orange what ever it was! :hmm: Then when you said it was your son's. Well it's you not me that has to make that explaination! :wink: :grin: :haha: :rotf: :rotf:

Well son yo see I was sighting in my rifle when this idea struck me..................... :grin:

Rifle is a 50 cal.

Sorry about mentioning the unmentionable bullets. Won't happen again.

I've been using round balls that came with my precussion Renegade that the wife gave me for Christmas years ago. "Remington Premier Golden Lead Round Balls". Figured with a name like that they just gotta be good.

I will keep using the round balls as I get ready for the trip. I will use them for deer hunting this fall as shots are 30 yards or so. What to try to get good at about 100 yds. for the antelope.

I was there in 06 an took a buck with my 270 at a paced distance of 260+ yards. Figured the next thing to try is the muzzleloader.

Mike

pronghorn.jpg

Took this buck at 70 yards with my late lancaster longrifle, 110 grs. 2F, .014 patch lubed with mink oil.
PB071151.jpg

Round ball went through both shoulders and lodged in the skin on the opposite side.

Here is another picture for you to help keep you eye on the prize. Good luck with that rifle. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

Back