• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting the patent breech clean

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a Pedersoli .32 Frontier flintlock with a patent breech that is approximately .22 in diameter. I'm struggling to get it cleaned, dried and oiled. Tried a 22 mop brush that didn't really fit in it.
What do you all do? I really prefer a flat breech, but I want to get good at this patent breech cleaning as the rifle is fun to shoot.

I've got a Pedersoli .32 Frontier flintlock with a patent breech that is approximately .22 in diameter. I'm struggling to get it cleaned, dried and oiled. Tried a 22 mop brush that didn't really fit in it.
What do you all do? I really prefer a flat breech, but I want to get good at this patent breech cleaning as the rifle is fun to shoot.
Pull the touch hole liner (that should ignite some hair and cheap wigs) and give it a blast through the tapped liner hole with a steam cleaner. Pumping ‘cleaning water’ through the bore (you have to be careful with barrel still in the stock) with a patch on 22 caliber or so brush will also get the job done. I have a 32 caliber Pedersoli Scout flintlock (with a percussion conversion I rarely use) and cleaning is no real issue. Might be worth noting, that once I get the bore dry, I use Eezox (or Barricade) rather than traditional oil, as either product dries to a film, not leaving an oily mess to contaminate things. Though I must admit, even when using Eezox (or Barricade) I leave the barrel/gun with the muzzle pointed down for a few days minimum for things to dry out. May or may not be necessary, but a belt and suspenders thing.

Last edited:
My hair is up about pulling the touch holi liner, but I'm not sure why. A good fitting screwdriver will do it without issue. Don't know why that didn't come to mind!
Appreciate the feedback.

You don't need to pull the liner or breech plug. You also don't need to oil it.

With your barrel half full of soapy water, put a cleaning patch on your rod and put it down thebarrel until you meet the water. Pull whatever is plugging the touch hole, and ram the rod home. You'll blast any residue right out of the hole. Pump the rod a few times. Repeat the process when you flush with clean water. Then pump the rod some when you dry it out and when run your oiled patch.

Those barrels are secured with 3 screws, correct?

Remove the barrel, set the breech end down in a bucket of water, then do the ol pump n scrub. The water being sucked in and pushed out is all that is needed to clean the entirety of the patent breech. Change the water until it remains clear after the pump-n-scrub.

If you would rather just remove the lock, The Lucky Bag makes a great magnetic flusher that sticks right to the barrel. Seals/protects finish with a gasket.

The ol pump and scrub is the only way I have found to get a patent/chambered breech clean to my liking. Once cleaned and drained, a good glug of alcohol or wd40 will run all the water out.

I had a .36 Frontier that taught me about patent breeches.

@rich pierce I really like that idea, but don't know if I have that skill set. Maybe I just need to step up my game.
I can pump and dump, just hate the idea of any water stuck down there.
Great info here gentlemen, I appreciate it all.

@rich pierce I really like that idea, but don't know if I have that skill set. Maybe I just need to step up my game.
I can pump and dump, just hate the idea of any water stuck down there.
Great info here gentlemen, I appreciate it all.
Once you are done with the water pumping, use an air compressor or co2 cartridge to blow any excess moisture out of the patent breech area from the touch hole.

I used a corkscrew patch puller and took a patch and folded 2 to 3 times enough to fill the recess and pushed it down enough to make contact with the bottom and twisted it. It might 2 or 3 times but it worked for me.

I use a nylon bristled 22 caliber brush(they won't bend and distort like a brass one) that seems to do the job. A 30 caliber one may work also.

Tonight I'll take the barrel off and see how the touch hole liner comes out.
I'm definitely grabbing a flush kit with magnets. I have the clamp on version but it doesn't work on every gun.
If I'm feeling daring I may try to unscrew the breech plug. I don't feel daring at the moment.

Tonight I'll take the barrel off and see how the touch hole liner comes out.
I'm definitely grabbing a flush kit with magnets. I have the clamp on version but it doesn't work on every gun.
If I'm feeling daring I may try to unscrew the breech plug. I don't feel daring at the moment.
I used the magnetic flush kit on my rifle and fowler after yesterday's match. The flush kit did a great job. After doing the fill the barrel, let soak, agitate and dump the cleaning solution, the flush kit pumping brought out a lot of fouling. I don't pull the touch hole liner to flush the barrel.

I'm not that daring to think that removing the breech plug for cleaning is a good procedure. However, as @rich pierce suggests, removing the breech plug to enlarge the chamber to almost bore diameter will help with control of fouling at the breech. I have read articles where that was done.

Touch hole liner didn't budge!
I pulled the barrel, used a bucket of hot water, scrubbed and got no dirt out. I stood it up to drip dry for a bit, ran some dry patches, and then did the unthinkable! I sprayed wd-40 in the touch hole, then down the barrel. After swirling it around I dumped it and set the barrel muzzle down while I ate dinner. After it dripped out, I ran dry patches, the one with bees wax/olive oil mix, and put it back together. I'll check it in a couple days again.
Going to try to pick up a .17 mop to fit the patent breech.

Touch hole liner didn't budge!
I pulled the barrel, used a bucket of hot water, scrubbed and got no dirt out. I stood it up to drip dry for a bit, ran some dry patches, and then did the unthinkable! I sprayed wd-40 in the touch hole, then down the barrel. After swirling it around I dumped it and set the barrel muzzle down while I ate dinner. After it dripped out, I ran dry patches, the one with bees wax/olive oil mix, and put it back together. I'll check it in a couple days again.
Going to try to pick up a .17 mop to fit the patent breech.
WD 40 is an excellent choice to use after cleaning a barrel: water displacing, and unless the arm is put away for an extended period it works just fine.

I use Burchwood Casey Barricade because it too is water displacing, but is better for long term storage.

Back