• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting Things Ready, Advice Please (firestorm)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhwestfall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm new at this. I just recently took delivery of a TC Firestorm Flinter. I'm making the change from an inline (oops, am I alowed to say that word here?). TC didn't go through too much advice on getting the gun ready for the first outing so I'm asking for help. Should I follow the inline (darn, I said it again)prep and take it apart to grease the breech plug? What about the touch hole (it is a threaded plug)? I'm assuming that I leave that one alone because of not wanting to get grease near the hole. Any other thoughts or considerations?

If it has a removable breech plug take it out and clean it and grease it as you do the inline. Same with the touch hole liner. Grease the threads so it doesn't freeze in place.
Giver her a good cleaning to remove the protective coating and go fire her up.
Have fun.

Huntin

:agree: with "out and huntin" very good advise!!!!!
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Hey, glad to hear your making the change to a flinter! Don't worry about using "THAT" term for describing that "other" type of ignition system.

We won't hold it against ya...your cured!

I'm not familiar with that model, but I doubt the breechplug is removable. The vent liner and plug, if removable, should have the threads greased. I would also clean the barrel to remove oils and preservatives. You don't want these chemicals contaminating the powder or gumming up the fouling. Also, degrease the frizzen and pan on the lock.

seeing that the gun was supposedly designed for pellets, and since I still have a mess of pellets from "that other gun", I was going to start there.....after going over much of the information on this forum, I'm figuring to start with fffg for the pan. Conicals seem to be the suggestion from the research I have found. But, from what I am reading here, it seems only a matter of time until I'm seeking out a more traditional options. The wife is gonna love me for this....

If I'm shooting pyrodex, what is the recommendation for cleaning product? I was surprised (and glad for the information) that using alcohol for quick touch-up is a good way to go. I had a really bad experience with the Knight products with my in-L**@ (I think you know the word I meant there). Don't want to go through that again.

seeing that the gun was supposedly designed for pellets, and since I still have a mess of pellets from "that other gun", I was going to start there.....after going over much of the information on this forum, I'm figuring to start with fffg for the pan. Conicals seem to be the suggestion from the research I have found. But, from what I am reading here, it seems only a matter of time until I'm seeking out a more traditional options. The wife is gonna love me for this....

Just a suggestion...I'm not sure how much that aluminum ramrod might wear on the crown and a muzzle guide might be a good thing to consider.

I got a handful of nice light, quite, plastic muzzle guides from Builder's Supply and always use one any time I use a metal ramrod...
:m2c:

Bob, you may have trouble getting those powder pellets to work...Pyrodex in a flinter usually requires some real (Goex) powder to set it off, and the in-line shooters I know (hey, they're kinfolk..I have to acknowledge them) got so fed up using pellets that they switched to Goex, and to powder horns...a step in the right direction.
There are about as many ways to clean these guns as there are guys who shoot 'em, it seems. I use hot soapy water, and sometimes use a Lyman product "Butch's Bore Bright" that is a pretty strong solvent...it'll take the finish off a stock...I'm sure the other two or three hundred suggestions you'll get here will also work...have fun with the flinter...puts you in touch with the "other greatest generation"...Hank

The gun is supposedly designed with a "false barrel". The last few inches are widened for easier loading and also lack rifling. Should I still be considering muzzle guides? Please expand on your suggestion.

Interesting you say that. I honestly have not had a problem with the other gun going off with pyrodex pellets (209 ignition). I'm just trying to find the best way to get started with this thing.

The gun is supposedly designed with a "false barrel". The last few inches are widened for easier loading and also lack rifling. Should I still be considering muzzle guides? Please expand on your suggestion.

I understand where you're coming from...and I'm not sure if the QLA false muzzle could be counted on to prevent the ramrod from scrubbing the ends of the rifling.

There will still be lateral movement by a ramrod even in a barrel with a false muzzle...just not sure if hitting the top edge / side of a false muzzle would hold the ramrod off the tips of the rifling on that side or not.

Be easy for you to check...insert the ramrod half way then flex it all the way over against the inside edge of the false muzzle...use a flashlight to see if it's also laying against the tips of the rifling...I for one would appreciate hearing back about it...thanks

My daughter has a Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock that is designed to be used with pyodex pellet and it also has a removable breachplug. The only advantage I can see that this offers is that I can look through the barrel to see if it clean. My daughter's gun shoots fine with pellets, but I don't think that they're any cleaner than black powder.

I loaded her gun with both 3F and 4F in the pan and the pellets ignited instantly. I like the greater flexibility that loose powder allows when loading though.

True loose powder is great cuz you can adjust the charge all you want, but pellets are great for maintaining a constant powder charge in a beginners gun, or a forgetful persons gone, dont need to remember 90 grains, just need to remember "one big pellet thing, one little pellet thing,one bullet"

:agree: that's why my daughter has one. She can still use loose powder when she has a little more experience. For now the pellets mean I don't have to worry about her measuring wrong.

The gun has almost no noticeable recoil with 100 grains. I think overall the pellet rifle is a good choice for a beginners flintlock.

You described my (ir)rational reasons for purchase to a T. The ease of cleaning was the greatest reason for the choice of this gun. Pellets are my crutch until I get the hang of things. From the way some talk about the lack of performance or problems with pellets, I may have an excellent excuse.....

Everyone has told me that I will eventually change over to BP as I grow up.

I would recommend trying BP once you get the hang of the gun and use your current supply of pyrodex. I think GOEX is a lot more consistent. My daughter has never had any problem with pyrodex, but at some point I would like to do a side by side comparison of pyrodex and black powder, if she'll let me use her gun.

If you ever want to get another flintlock model, you'll definitely want to use BP. Flintlocks are addictive, so I think this one might not be the last one you buy.

I've got the Firestorm in 209 flavor. You should find Firestorm a very well made & balanced rifle.

It does have the QLA/False muzzle. 1:48" rifling.

Really degrease the bore good. I always use a good bore solvent the first time on a new rifle to get all of the packing lube from the barrel. Butch's Bore Shine or the like and 20-30 strokes with a brush and another 20-30 with a patch. Then pump/flush with hot soapy water and a wet patch, Then clean with isopropyl alcohol patches and then dry patches and lube as you normally would.

For the breech plug and touch hole bushing, I would suggest a quality choke tube lube or other high-temp/anti-sieze lube.

:m2c:Ok here we go....I've had a firestorm and it was a good rifle. The only problem I had was after about 4-5 shots the junk would build up in the breech and plug the touch hole off. I was using 2FF Goex. I took the breech plug out and went to my friend that has a machine shop....Now I know that TC would really frown on this, but I had him turn the face of the breech till I had a flat breech and got rid of that pointy thing that was designed to break up the first pellet. After I had this done it went off like clock work every time. I never had any more problems. It was a fine rifle even though I traded it about a year later. :m2c:

Back