• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getz .50 cal 7/8" straight barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the barrel for my first rifle and would like a few ideas as far as styles of rifle to build? The tang on the barrel is 2.5" long and flares from 3/8" to 5/8".
I am opern to any lock type.
Thanks
Nathan

What period of history interests you and how do you intend to use this gun?

Good luck with your project.

CS

I plan to use the gun to make meat, and although I am unaware of any history groups in my area I would like to keep the gun correct for what ever it is I choose. I am completely up for any ideas. I have talked to a few guys on the phone who have informed me that a well built flinter is as good as a purcussion although I think the straight barrel might be more correct as a percusion? I really have no knowledge of the history of longrifles only the beauty they behold and the connection to the past they must bring.
Nathan

The barrel will make allot or styles of rifles. However, ya kinda got the cart ahead of the horse. Much better to find the style of rifle you like that Feels comfortable to you, then buy the appropriate parts to make such a rifle.

Even tho you have a barrel already, I suggest you go to a rondy or BP match someplace & check out some of the rifles & then pick a style that fits you well. Then if the barrel will work OK & if not you can sell it & get another one, as it is just a barrel and there are allot of them. :thumbsup:
I probably owned 25 dif longrifles & halfstocks until I came across a Lancaster style rifle with a swamped barrel about 15 years ago......... Man that was it for me , I couldn't believe the difference in the balance & all. I have enjoyed shooting nothing but swamped barrels since then. Oh I shoot a couple of straight barrels now & then, but I don't like them like I do the swamped ones & seldom shoot them. Took me 20+ years to find the type of rifles I really like shooting & could have saved a small fortune on rifles if I had took the time to investigate a little more, rather than buying them, selling them, buying again, etc..... Like having a really good hunting dog. From then on you want them all to be like that dog.....

The barrel is a Getz .50 cal 7/8" and 42" long. I have given some thought to the surthern style rifle like the one at the top of the American Longrifle association page. I know I will have to draw out the tang on the barrel to make it proper.
I am curious to know what other types of rifles had this style barrel.
Nathan

After looking at your earlier response I was thinking of suggesting a Southern gun. It is fairly easy to built and can be a joy to use.

Slash is the owner of TVM and a good member of this Forum. Her company makes and sells these guns, so you could get parts through her.

Jack Garner was also selling some parts for making these.

I have used both with good results. Being that Slash is here, I would give her the first call. Besides, that Slash name worries me if I don't put her first! :shocked2:

(Having met her and spoken to her, I think not :winking: )

CS

Back