• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gift Horse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The old saying is, "You don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Awhile back I posted questions with a Zouave my dad picked up at a garage sale. It was delivered this last weekend. Dad was sure it was brand new, but my dad's eyes are fading at the age of 79. Nonetheless, Pappa Bear was right, my Dad did me right. He picked up a slightly used Zouave 58 repro by Navy Arms. It's in great shape with very few handling marks. Don't think the previous owner fired it much. I swabed the barrel with very little dust residue and no rust. The barrel is stamped Antonio Zoli & Co. Made in Italy. Also has an ANZ stamp with a oval around the letters. The brass is tarnished but cannot find any rust. It also sports two bands for the barrel and a small patchbox on the stock. The rear sights have three elevation options.

As instructed by Rebel, I did the patch test twist several times. I kept coming up with around 18" at the 1/4 turn. Guess that makes it a 72" twist. Wish I could post a pic, but can't do that anymore.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the info ya'll gave on this Zouave. Just hope I get the charges figured out on roundball by elk season.

Many thanks,
Cat9

You might also give consideration to the Lyman 577611, a minie-style bullet designed with the requisite heavy skirt for powder charges in excess of 70 grains. I've never used it, but I've heard good reports from folks who do. Just a thought... :hmm:

:surrender: Allright -what load would you use for deer with a Missippi. I have had this rifle for years and have never shot it much. Been thinking about useing it for hunting deer for a while now. What powder and ball and how many grains would you use. Mudd Turtle. :confused:

Catof9tails i had two navy arms zoli zouave riflies they had 1in48 twist, and know 8 guys that have navy arms zoli zouave riflies, and all of them have a 1 in 48 twist here is a page from sam fadala's black powder loading manual on the zoli zouave some good load data take note of the twist rate.
bernie :thumbsup:
IMG-24.jpg

Thanks Bernie. I'll redo the patch test and then run a patch test on my TC cougar. The TC is 1:48 twist and we'll see if the rate of turn on the rods match. And thanks for the load data. It will give me a great start.
Cat9

my zoli was 1-72 twist. hope yours is too, as mine was a good shooter even with prb.

The Mississippi was originally a .54 patched ball rifle and would probably like a .53 ball and a .015 patch over 80 or so grains of FFg. Some '41s were bored out to .58 and rifled and can handle the same loads as a Zouave. It is always best to work up loads in each rifle as they can be picky, but 70 grains would be a minimum hunting load in my opinion.

My Zoli is 1-72. I have known old Sam for more than 20 years. He is like all of us he makes a mistake once in a Blue Moon. :rotf:

On the subject of Zoli repro's, last weekend I was between gun building projects so I took my ole Zoli out of the closet and did a total re-finish on her. I always prefer brunettes to blondes! :haha:
ZuoveRepro001.jpg
ZuoveRepro004.jpg

Latest posts

Back