• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM 36/40 barrels for TC Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulis7

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone here own a GM barrel in .36 or .40cal for the TC Hawken rifle? If the barrels are worth the price anyone know where the best place to get them would be?

Recoil is a major issue for me now days due to nerve damage in neck/shoulder/arm and plate and screws in the cervical spine. My primary shooting these days is against paper or small game, so I really dont have a need for a big game rifle anymore.

Regulis7

I have a .40 (15/16" x 32" x 1:48 twist) for my Cabela's Hawken (Investarms). It is the same as for the TC. Shoots well. I stripped the bluing off, put a primative full buckhorn on (where I can see it) and then browned it. I got mine about 4 years ago - before the "helicoil" business reared its ugly head. Ordered mine from TOW, but I know there are other sources available, I trust someone else will give you more source ideas.

I had GM make a Flint version of their 15/16" x 32" x .40cal barrel...have it on a nice Hawken stock, 40grns Goex 3F, .015" lubed patch, .395 ball, just unbelieveably accurate, hardly moves from recoil...and I feel sure you could shoot 25-30grns 3F in it and have excellent accuracy and zero recoil.
(TC's patent breeches hold 18-20grns so 25grns is probably as low as I'd go for consistency)

The .40 is a small bore and leaves a lot of metal in the barrel...heavy...a .36cal would be even heavier.

I have a .40 calibre that I got from Track of the Wolf. I haven't dealt with them yet, but Pecatonica River has them a few bucks cheaper:
[url] http://www.longrifles-pr.com/gminterbarrels.shtml[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a TC and have never had the factory 50 barrel on it. Imediately ordered the 32x .40 and have never been more happy with a gun outside of my rem 700 22-250 with a custom barrel!
the GM .40 was a drop in with zero modification.
I shoot 25 gr 3f for tie breakers at 15yd, dead center, 30 gr for my 25yd targets dead on, and 4ogr puts me a tad high with the same sight picture. it groups well, no kick, wipe every 10 shots for best results. have not had to adjust the sights ever since I took it out of the box from tow.
only downside, if you want to call it one, on the trailwalks when you are shooting at match sticks, strings or cutting cards, you give up a little since your surface area is about half that of a .50! small sacrifice!
I'm thinking about having a .40 barrel made up for my trapper pistol and giving that a go as well.
you buy a 32x.40, you will have NO regrets!

btw, my home cast balls are .396 out of a lee mold and the patches are home cut .015 with olive oil.

maybe we need to do a .40 forum shoot! :hmm:

With regards to the .40 cal GM I purchased mine in June 06 and just love the "no" recoil and extreme accurcy at 50 and 100 yards. Under 3/4" at 50 and 1-1/8" at 100 yards. Mine is the 1" across the flats, the target verson and I paid $170.00 plus$10.00 shipping. I was a drop-in in my Cleland Thompson Center Targe rifle. I ordered it with the 1 in 48 twist. I don't think you would be disapointed.

I, myself, would like a .36 but they don't make them anymore. All they seem to have are the .32 and .40.

Back