• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM 58-32x1" 1-70 drop in barrel for T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
For those looking Track of the Wolf has these in stock now!
Last September I ordered one from T/C today I pulled the pin when another member informed me of the GM barrels at track.......Good luck

i just wishes i could find a .58 or .62 drop in, for my lyman GPR.

mines a .50. but i want a .58 or a .62 barrel for it. cain't find anything, been searching everywhere, but guess im not asking in the right places.

anyone know where i could find one ?

thanks

I have one I bought at Dixon's a couple a years ago. Man it is so nice. More accurate than I am.

Sundog- what was the breakin period..i.e number of shots till it settled in?....Thanks...Dan

For what its worth, as additional info to the thread, mine was a tack driver right out of the box (had GM install a Flint plug) and it was not powder charge sensitive, at least experimenting with four charges of 70/80/90/100grns Goex, all were equally accurate...fantastic barrel.

I have the same barrel on an Invesarms, I use a .527 ball .015 patch and 90 grains 2f.

I think that Lyman GPR's use a 15/16" barrel. I don't think anybody makes a .58 or bigger in that barrel size, drop-in or otherwise.

32" + breechplug = 33"

GM makes really good barrels...and it seems like if you just get them the general direction of the target the ball ends up going into the bullseye.

I since sold that .58cal rifle to help pay for a .58cal Virginia...was reluctant to do it but I couldn't justify two .58's.

I also have a 33" GM .40cal round ball barrel that's the same way...just spooky accurate.

Both mine were Flint...had GM remove/replace the cap with Flint plugs and reblue the barrels.

I,m wondering if green mountain would still do that. I have one already in a percusion and it is a tack driver. I bought a flint renagade the other day and I'd like to get a .58. Thinking about having Rice make one but I would take a drop in green mountain if I could get it.

Just a heads up.

I told one of my hunting pards about the barrels at TOW, and this morning he called and bought one. At that time there were just two left, so after his call there's only one.

Be quick!

DEW said:
I,m wondering if green mountain would still do that. I have one already in a percusion and it is a tack driver. I bought a flint renagade the other day and I'd like to get a .58. Thinking about having Rice make one but I would take a drop in green mountain if I could get it.
2-3 years ago when GM semed to be winding down their attention with T/C drop-ins, I wanted to have that done to yet another barrel but when I checked with 'Kerry' she said they could no longer do that kind of work due to their workload / staffing situation.

But now its 2-3 years later and things could have changed...call their # on the website and ask Kerry. (cost was $60 for the plug swap and reblue)

Yup. I just checked the TOW site, and they're back to listing as out of stock.

Hopefully this will encourage GM to turn out some more, and based on quick sales I bet TOW is anxious to get them back in stock.

But in the meantime, it was good while it lasted! Long as you were one of the lucky folks that got one, that is. :wink:

I called today and they are OUT!Said they were shocked that they got any.NO idea when more is (if any) coming. :idunno:

Just can't stand it any more. I gotta get me one of them 58's. The onlyest question is how long is it gonna be and how deep the groove.

Shot the new GM 58 Cal 1-70 32" barrel last Sunday- break in at 25 yards 70 fff-Goex .570 rb
.027 cotton duct patch hoppe's black powder solvent and lube. 65 shots no swabbing..kept reaching for my primmer horn :youcrazy: age has nothing to do with it! :rotf:

Members post shoot
IMG_0429-1.jpg

Many shots!

IMG_0433-1.jpg

Meet "Long Tom"

IMG_0428_1-1.jpg

I removed the under rib ..it was 1/8 th of an inch to long..trimmed it at home... fits like a glove as a drop in. Really enjoyed the longer barrel..it tended to just hang on target shooting off hand. Noticeable difference from the 26-27 inch barrels from T/C....I would recommend this barrel! After this barrel is rung out most likely will change the breach to flint..change sights to primitive and brown the barrel.

:bow:

My Renegade had a 32" GM .50 cal barrel on it, and it's also a sweet shooter. Definitely love the longer barrels, and you're right about shooting off-hand. Get a good position, and that thing is a rock staying on target! Makes me sad to think GM won't be making drop-ins anymore, and who knows if/when they'll make blanks! Very sad to hear...
1022092256a.jpg

Back