• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM IBS TC BBl...drop in fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi gents,

I am considering on of the GM IBS barrels listed on Track of the wolf for my .54 Renegade. Will this set up drop right in? Or does it require fitting?

Thanks

PS

How come the barrels are 1:70, I thought PRB barrels were usually 1:66

Most of the time they will drop right in. Once in a while they require minor fitting. Nothing you can't do yourself. As for the twist, 1-70 or 1-66 both will shoot patched round balls real well.

The twist just depends on the maker. I've heard of twist as slow as 102:1 . I think the idea is that the slower twist will handle a larger powder charge and more velocity without stripping the patch off the rifling.

All I had to do was file a small amount from the forearm end of the rib and it dropped right in.

Thanks for the replies. I've heard folks rave about these barrels. I notice they're a bit longer than my stock Renegade barrel.

Have yours given increased accuracy?

Thanks again

In my experience fitting has required : nothing, filing the underrib to clear stock, filing the hook to fit the tang, bending the hammer to fit the nipple, adjusting the staple to fit the wedge.

Some have required several of the above, some nothing. This has been on TC hawkens/renagades and Investarms products (Cabelas/Lyman/Investarms).

1-70 shoot RB great, if you shoot conicals try the 1-28.

Redhat said:

I put one on a T/C Hawken I recently rebuilt. Right out of the box it was shooting sub two inch groups at 50 yards with whatever load I used. This was on a windy day. GM barrels are tops in my book.
:thumbsup:

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
Redhat said:

I put one on a T/C Hawken I recently rebuilt. Right out of the box it was shooting sub two inch groups at 50 yards with whatever load I used. This was on a windy day. GM barrels are tops in my book.

HD

gotta agree with this one!my .40 was right at an inch at 50 yds and just to the right by2 clicks right out of the box. No fitting whatsoever!

Nor Cal Mikie said:
On the GM IBS, how are the under lugs secured to the barrel. The picture that I saw looked like it was screwed on? Got one on the way for my CVA.
Yes and it hangs down further than the dovetailed tenon on TC[url] barrels...in[/url] two cases it hung down into the ramrod channel of a couple TC Hawkens just far enough to block the ramrod from entering.

Since the GM tenon is so thick to begin with, I just laid the barrel on it's back and using a belt sander ground off about a 16th of an inch from the tenon's face until the ramrod would slide in and out OK.

I also had the problems of having to trim/shorten the underrib on some of them...and in case you're getting a Flint barrel, the first thing I do is remove and discard the GM vent liner and install one of TC's redesigned fast liners.

Last edited by a moderator:
RB,

That doesn't sound toom promising at all! Do TC Renegades vary so much that they can't make the barrels to fit without all that?

My plan is to remove the "screwed on" lug and cut a dove tail in the barrel to match the CVA. The hardest part will be making the "first cut". After that it will be a piece of cake!
I was over at the "Gun Builders Bench" and it looks like it won't be that hard. :wink:

Redhat said:
RB,

That doesn't sound toom promising at all! Do TC Renegades vary so much that they can't make the barrels to fit without all that?
First, I'll only speak to Hawkens as I don't use Renegades, but feel confident that my answere would apply to both.

While I'm sure there may be some minor variations in stock dimensions over the years, they are never-the-less built to TCs specifications and TC barrels don't have these problems dropping in.

My conclusion is that GM decided on a set of design specs for their barrels and what they settled on evidently results in a couple ares like the tenon and underrib being built to the extreme tolerances in one direction.

Then when a Hawken is encountered which is manufactured within TCs specs but possibly at the extreme end of its tolerance range, opposite from how the GM barrel was built, the GM does not just drop right in.

I don't know what else could cause it because the TC barrels always drop right in...everyone else's insight is welcome of course.

NOTE:
If you modify that new barrel your warranty will probably be voided...and if you might try to resell the barrel, that may be a turn-off to a prospect buyer and/or in may then not fit a different Renegade.

It's easy and simple to fix the tenon with a file or belt sander in just a couple minutes and it's not a permanent modification...if you ever needed to you could simply buy a new tenon for a couple bucks and screw it on.

My .02 cents...

Another thing about Green Mountain is the sling swivels for a TC don't work well. The TC swivel uses a screw that is long enough to go through the under rib and into threads in the barrel. The GM barrel is not drilled and threaded at the thimbles. The under rib is threaded. I had to use the GM screw and drill the top of the swivel a bit to get them to work. Ron

Idaho Ron said:
Another thing about Green Mountain is the sling swivels for a TC don't work well. The TC swivel uses a screw that is long enough to go through the under rib and into threads in the barrel. The GM barrel is not drilled and threaded at the thimbles. The under rib is threaded. I had to use the GM screw and drill the top of the swivel a bit to get them to work. Ron
Yes, plus GM uses regular screws instead of allen screws inside their thimbles...an aggravation;

The vent liners are simply something to be removed and discarded;

The ramrods that have come with mine have had to be removed and replaced with good ramrods;

When installing a breech plug, they don't bother filing and fitting the flats to the barrel that are down in the barrel bed out of site;

If you order one for a Hawken, they don't come with brass thimbles so they have to bought and replaced;

The bluing is not as thick and stong as that of a TC...I get flame pattern burn throughs of the bluing on the breechplug in just 1-2 range sessions;

So for them to call their barrels "drop-in replacements for TC MLs" does leave a lot of odds and ends that don't quite make the grade...no comparison to the quality of TCs fit & finish they don't.

As I've said before, I only buy GM barrels that TC doesn't make, and if they weren't as good functionally as they are, I wouldn't buy those...unfortunately they're the only other game in town vs. a custom barrel maker.

Got my New GM .32 today to put in my CVA stock but decided against "messing" with the new barrel and dropped in my TC Hawken stock. And it was a "drop in" fit. The only problem is the hole in the stock for the 3/8" ram rod is a little bigger than the 5/16" rod.
Tweaked the retaining clip and got the rattle out of it.
I'll work on the "old" TC .50 caliber barrel and get it fitted to the CVA stock. Need to remove a little wood in the tang hole area where the hook goes in. Other than that, it will be a drop in too! :thumbsup:

Nor Cal Mikie said:
Got my New GM .32 today to put in my CVA stock but decided against "messing" with the new barrel and dropped in my TC Hawken stock. And it was a "drop in" fit. The only problem is the hole in the stock for the 3/8" ram rod is a little bigger than the 5/16" rod.
Tweaked the retaining clip and got the rattle out of it.
I'll work on the "old" TC .50 caliber barrel and get it fitted to the CVA stock. Need to remove a little wood in the tang hole area where the hook goes in. Other than that, it will be a drop in too! :thumbsup:
Sounds like a good plan...

I have two tc guns with drop in barrels one a single trigger renegade that I put in my 62 smooth barrel, here I had to monkey with the wedge pin a lot took a lot of filing I bought this last January. The hammer needed to be bent but it came this way come to think about it. and the rib had to be shortened to fit any renegade or hawken stock. The 32 barrel I bought 5 years ago I put on a 70's hawken kit gun, just dropped in perfectly.

Back