• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM install on TC Renegade Fitting Issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlhunter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here on the forum but have been inline muzzleloading since 1998. However, I have always had an interest in the older ways and I am in the process of joining a traditional muzzleloading club to work with them, attend their regular shoots, and maybe some regional shoots.

I had a TC Renegade and I had Track of the Wolf assemble a TC breech plug from The Gun Works to a Green Mountain 54 caliber round ball barrel that I purchased some time ago from Midway. I have draw filed the breech plug to meld with the barrel so that part is done.

HOWEVER, when I went to install the barrel the new breech plug will insert all the way into the tang but the barrel will not drop down all the way into the barrel channel. There appears to be clearance externally so the problem must be the fit of the breech plug insert into the tang opening.

It looks to me the issue is either the bottom of the insert at the breech plug or the top of the insert away from the breech plug. Is there a good way to approach this filing work? Would it help if I removed the tang and eyeball that is going on?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Since I am going to be more involved in traditional muzzleloading I plan on spending more time on this forum. I have a lot to learn yet!

mlhunter said:
HOWEVER, when I went to install the barrel the new breech plug will insert all the way into the tang but the barrel will not drop down all the way into the barrel channel. There appears to be clearance externally so the problem must be the fit of the breech plug insert into the tang opening.
Due to minor variations in TC stock dimensions, its not all that uncommon for the very back end of the underrib to be catching on the very end of the forearm...so just to be sure, look there closely to see if its hitting and at least eliminate that as a cause...I've removed the rib on a few GM barrels, and barely touched the back end to a grinder (file, etc) to get clearance.

I would remove the tang and barrel and see where you're at! If they fit OK out of the gun then you are going to have to remove some wood. If they don't fit together our of the rifle they you are going to have to do some file work.
If they fit OK out of the gun try to install them in the rifle together and that should show you where hangup is! :hmm:

I shoud have been clearer, the barrel is bare with no under lug on under rib installed. Thx!

Hi there.
I have a couple to fit like this right now. Hope this is of help. It's from the mid-90's so no telling if things have changed. If it needs to be adjusted the barrel won't want to settle down into the stock channel. No point in trying to force it.

GMBarrelFittingInstructionsSheet.jpg

I agree with the others.

Remove the tang from the stock and try fitting it onto your barrel. It should fit up nice and tight but that might take a bit of adjustment with a file.

Once that has been done reinstall the tang into the stock and try the barrel again.
If it still doesn't fit down like it should steal some of your wifes lipstick (or buy your own at the drug store).
Coat the end of the hook on the barrels breech plug with a light coating of lipstick and try to install the barrel.

Remove the barrel and the tang from the stock and check the wood to see where some of the lipstick has rubbed off on the wood.
That small area of wood will have to be removed. Don't get carried away with this. It may take several attempts to find the interfering wood and get it out of the way.

GoodCheer said:
Hi there.
I have a couple to fit like this right now. Hope this is of help. It's from the mid-90's so no telling if things have changed. If it needs to be adjusted the barrel won't want to settle down into the stock channel. No point in trying to force it.

GMBarrelFittingInstructionsSheet.jpg

I removed the tang and it became obvious what the issue was. A little work with the file per GM's instruction and the barrel fit right into the tang. While I have the tang off I'm getting it drilled and tapped for a Lyman aperture sight!

Thanks a bunch for this tip!

Thanks to everyone for the support on my question! All the suggestions were checked out to make sure there were no other problems.

As soon as our MO weather breaks a bit it will time to head out for the range to find a good load!

Back