• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Go figure!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A few years back when Green Mountain didn't offer a drop in .58 for the Renegade I had a .56 smoothbore punched out and rifled to .58 with a bullet shooting 1:48" twist which, according to Greenhill should have been spot on.
Ain't :curse: :curse:
Never could get any bullet to shoot well. Mediorce, yes, well, NO!
Tried her again this afternoon and got he usual 6 to 10" groups at 50 yards. I've tried different lubes, paper patched bullets, different bullets, heavy, light bullets, everything but sabots. (yeeeech!)
I just happened to have a sandwich bag with some .020 denim ticking lubed with birddog6's "secret squirrel" formula liquid lube and some .570 swagged roundballs.
"What the heck" says I to me, so I stuffed 80 grains of Scheutzen 2fg downbore and topped off with the roundball.
Three shots inside 1 1/4"!! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
I give up. Go figure!

Well ain't we been tellin' ya that ya don't need no stinkin' bullet in a .58 cal. Now the rifle is tellin' ya the same thing. Now ya gots ta believe. ::

Yes- the Parker Hale rifled muskets(Enfields) shoot very well indeed with patched RB. The Musketoon's 24" and 2 band rifle's 33"(approx) both have 48" twists while the 3 band'r has either a 72" or 78" twist. The 3 band'r is generaly more accurate than the others, but the 2 Band rifle I re-sighted for a bloke, shot into 1" at 50yards with from 3 drams to 4.5 drams, off the bags with a .575" ball and .020" patch.

What the heck is a dram?

Ah thin it are a word yer Grandma used when you kids were around. Like when she slammed the door on her finger. "Dram, That Hurts", and when she said "If your Grandpaw would get up off that DRAM couch and carry out the garbage this place wouldn't stink so".

Then there is "That DRAM DOG", "Those DRAM KIDS..."

It's also used a lot by hunters when they are shooting their 12 gauges and blasting away at dove. You've heard them talking about a 3 DRAM load as they rub their shoulder at the end of the day I'm sure. "Those DRAM dove were zinging up and down and sideways and this DRAM gun kicks like a Mule and DRAM! My shoulder hurts!!!!!"

You get the idea. It's a pretty useful word. Some find more use for it than others though. :: :: :crackup:

It's an ancient measurement of volume. It is still listed as the powder charge on the side of most boxes of shotgun shells.

Us ML and reloading folks just use grains. Which are also an archaic measurement related to 7000 grains of barlycorn being the standard for achieving an English pound.

Ain't precision measurement grand??

You don't :redthumb: want to know where the inch came from!!

I looked down between my belly and my knees and thought I had an inch, so I scratched it.

Drachm is the original apothecaries weight, but for shooting purposes and in the Proof Acts it is either spelt drams or shortened to drs.

There you go again! "Spelt" That's almost a Zonie word, not in no Murican dictionary no how! :crackup:

I think we're gonna hasta send a bunch o' English teachers over there as missionaries. You get your knuckles cracked enough you'll pick up proper spellun. ::

Unfortunately, Drachm is the word used in Lt. James Forsyth's book. He means Dram, not Drachm, which is 27.3gr. as opposed to 60gr. for Drachm. Indeed, 5 Drachms(Apothecary's weight) would be a heathy charge or sure. He meant Dram at 136.5gr.for 5 drams, being the top load for the 14 bore double rifle. BTW - this was with Curtis & Harvey's #6 Rifle powder, which matches, velocity wise, the new powerful Swiss powder. GOEX is far inferior to this powder, by roughly 20%. THIS is why I used 165gr. in the 14bore, and even then, I was some 150fps(or more) 'short' of C&H #6. It proved to be sufficient for Moose, there being no elephants around for testing (the beavers ate them all, way back).

Latest posts

Back