• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gobbler Special's First Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Killed this gobbler 7:00am this morning. Shawnee National Forest. I built this gun especially to hunt spring gobblers and today is the first time I've got a shot with it. Worked good. Called him in using a Woodhaven Copperhead mouth call. I had to go a long ways through some real thick stuff to get to him. Bout killed me getting back out and to the house with it. Very steep up and down country and I'm not even close to being in shape. Only the second hunt I've been able to make this yr. due to health and weather.

Had a hard time getting him to come down off one ridge and up on the one I was on..but finally talked him into it. I was just getting ready to move on him and try to get on the same ridge when I saw his white head coming to me at about 35yds. 20ga. Gobbler Special (6lbs). 20lbs., 10" beard, not much for spurs...bout 1"
I was looking at him with my foot on his neck thinking he would make a pretty pic. when he went into the death flop and pulled out from under my foot into a wet drainage and flopped down the ridge getting soaked.
90GRS 3F
2LUBED OXYOKE WADS
140GRS (2OZ) # 6'S
2 THIN OVERSHOT CARDS

shawgob1-1.jpg

shawgob4.jpg

That's awesome, great to see another fine black powder bird, That sounds like a pretty heavy load you are using. It looks like it does the trick.

T.O. said:
That's awesome, great to see another fine black powder bird, That sounds like a pretty heavy load you are using. It looks like it does the trick.

T.O...it's stout but patterns good. Colrain recommends this load with #6's in the Turkey barrel I use. I've always used pretty heavy loads even with open cylinder.

sp.jpg

Hoyt said:
T.O. said:

T.O...it's stout but patterns good. Colrain recommends this load with #6's in the Turkey barrel I use. I've always used pretty heavy loads even with open cylinder.

sp.jpg

Hoyt, how far was this target posted when shot?

Thanks, Skychief.

Is this Turkey barrel something different than their 20ga.. 44" fowler barrel?

Dave, yes they are different. Here's a link to their turkey choke barrel. It gives all the info.

Colrain

Skychief, That pattern was close..about 15 or 20yds. My rear sight fell off squirrel hunting (gun wasn't finished yet..lost my nose cap too) and I was adjusting a new one. Click on the thumbnail and it will show the pattern at a little over 35yds. That's as far as I will take a shot. Colrain says people are killing turkeys at 50yds with their Turkey Choke Barrel...but I would never shoot that far even with a modern shotgun. I don't feel like I called a bird in if I can't get it in to 35yds or a hair over.

I'm not pushing this barrel..I wanted to get my old 20ga. Getz jug choked by the guy that Roundball uses..but I'd have to take the lugs and sight off first and didn't won't to do that so bought the Colerain. I do like the barrel though..even if it is a pain to get overshot cards down.

Latest posts

Back