• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gobbler Special's First Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoyt said:
I do like the barrel though..even if it is a pain to get overshot cards down.
I have one of these barrels, Hoyt, and I agree. I use two 1/8" cards over powder, and I've had good luck putting them on the ramrod and bending them as much as I can before inserting them. They seem to easily straighten up and flatten out when rammed.

My load is a bit less than yours. When I got my barrel back in about 1998 they were recommending 95 gr. 2F and equal volume of #6. I shoot 3F in my 20 gauges, so I use 80 gr. 3F and 95 gr. #6, which comes to 1 1/2 oz. I've had good luck with that load, killed over a dozen toms with it at distances out to 35 + yards. Here's a pattern at 35 yards with my load.

Turkey35.jpg

Congratulations on a fine hunt and bird. Great looking gun.

Spence

Spence, I read somewhere..think it was in Black Powder Notebook...about bending the overshot cards, but have never tried it. I'm going to give it a try and see if I can get the knack of it. Have had two or three cards go down sideways while loading in the woods squirrel hunting.

That's a good pattern you got worked out. I use 3f in all my guns also. Although I don't have but one .58cal rifle and one .62cal. smoothbore anymore. Traded my others for a nice 4 wheel drive. Presently don't plan on building anymore as these two cover all my hunting needs.

Also I know a guy that shoots a T/C 12ga. flintlock with the screw in choke that uses only lubed Oxyoke wads for overpowder cards and overshot cards. I personally don't really trust the holding ability for overshot, but he's never had a problem with the shot coming out. They go down the barrel a lot easier than the cards and I might experiment with them during off season to see how they hold up.

Hoyt said:
I'm going to give it a try and see if I can get the knack of it. Have had two or three cards go down sideways while loading in the woods squirrel hunting.
I've had good luck getting them to straighten up and go down right by giving them a series of light, quick taps with the ramrod when I first start using it, while they are still just below the muzzle.

I've never used anything but hard cards in this gun, but I hear people talk about using felt wads and have thought that might be worth a try. Since turkey hunting is usually a one-shot deal and I load that one before I leave home, I don't think of loading this choke as any kind of problem.

Good talking to you, Hoyt, I've never run across anyone else who uses the Colerain turkey barrel.

Good job on the bird.

Spence

Good talkin to you Spence. I got to tell you that Early Virginia flintlock in The Gift is what really inspired me to start building my own flintlocks. Can't tell you how many times I looked at those two pictures of that gun.

Good Huntin,
Hoyt

Now, that's great to hear, Hoyt. I thought there was some reason I did that site, now I know. :v And when you got started building you did it up right.

Spence

Great patterning gun. No doubt it did the job quite well. Congratulations! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back