• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many have bought Goex since it came back on the market? I personally don't need any at the moment since I still have a stash old Goex and Swiss powder to boot. Is it the same as it used to be, better, worse?

I bought five pounds of the new goex when my club took orders. I've been shooting Scheutzen for about ten years now. I haven't done any really close comparisons but the little I've done it seems very comparable. I think the nature of fouling has a lot to do with the lube used.

Wow. Every guy with a different experience by brand. I guess a lot goes into how much powder loaded with what projectile and patch etc. All those variables coming into play from guy to guy and gun to gun. ? ?

I have shot Goex since the early-90s and only in the last couple years tried Schutzen and found it to not only smell more 'sulpher-y' but to be more dirty than Goex. That is in my Renegades, Senecas and Cherokee. However, I do seem to get higher muzzle velocity per my chrono with Schutzen and in the .32 it is grouping better (20 grains 3F).

I have only recently started down the Swiss road and have a couple pounds in 2F and 3F to play with.

I won a pound of schutzen couldn't even finish a woods walk it . Fouled my rifle up so bad.
WANO is Schutzen powder as is Swiss same manufacturer. They might have been making powder since the 1600s but it'd be the last thing I ever shoot again.
I'm not looking for sponsorship promotions making YouTube videos.

In the group of guys I shoot with. People, I know that have had trouble with their guns. All we're trying to give me their Schutzen powder.
I've been shooting muzzleloaders since around 1968.
I have never been able to clean a Muzzleloader loader or a suppository gun with three or four patches!

Good answers, but I would like to know if the new Goex has been improved over the original.
The "original" has a checkered past. The powder produced at Moosic had a reputation for inconsistencies. Knight said it was at least partly due to variations in water quality.

I don't have any idea about the stuff coming out of Louisiana prior to the shutdown. I bought a very large quantity of Goex in the '90's from a BPCR shooter who found it not up to his expectations. That was the last time I bought goex until last year. About ten years ago I switched to Scheutzen just because they were supportive of the local ml community. I didn't have any issues with that old goex.

I've planned to do an actual careful shooting comparison but haven't had much opportunity to do ANY shooting this year. The one day that I shot the new Goex I used the same powder measure as used with the Scheutzen and concluded that it was shooting pretty much to the same POI as the Scheutzen.

What I use in the future will probably be based on price unless I discover some glaring differences.

The "original" has a checkered past. The powder produced at Moosic had a reputation for inconsistencies. Knight said it was at least partly due to variations in water quality.

I don't have any idea about the stuff coming out of Louisiana prior to the shutdown. I bought a very large quantity of Goex in the '90's from a BPCR shooter who found it not up to his expectations. That was the last time I bought goex until last year. About ten years ago I switched to Scheutzen just because they were supportive of the local ml community. I didn't have any issues with that old goex.

I've planned to do an actual careful shooting comparison but haven't had much opportunity to do ANY shooting this year. The one day that I shot the new Goex I used the same powder measure as used with the Scheutzen and concluded that it was shooting pretty much to the same POI as the Scheutzen.

What I use in the future will probably be based on price unless I discover some glaring differences.
I don't know about the quality of water being a factor. I fact, I'm no expert in the matter at all. What my understanding is concerning quality is the charcoal used and how completely it burns. To my knowledge, Swiss uses the best charcoal.

I don't know about the quality of water being a factor. I fact, I'm no expert in the matter at all. What my understanding is concerning quality is the charcoal used and how completely it burns. To my knowledge, Swiss uses the best charcoal.
I've heard the same thing about Swiss charcoal. Knight claimed that the main difference in fouling was the temperature at which the wood was charred.

I've heard the same thing about Swiss charcoal. Knight claimed that the main difference in fouling was the temperature at which the wood was charred.
https://schuetzenpowder.com/swiss-black-powder/
Most of my stock is Swiss powder. If I knew about Schuetzen, I would probably have some of that brand, too. I still have several pounds of Goex, because when I first got into muzzleloading, that's what was locally available. It could be found on the open shelf before the Hazmat thing. I only learned about Swiss when I had to start buying online.

Ive got some Schuetzen 3F. I bought it a while back when powder was hard to come by. Before Goex blew up this last time and was sold to Estes I bought a case of Ole E 2FG. Years ago I shot BPCR with a Sharps. Swiss was king then less fouling and more speed than Goex and these was another powder available then called Elephant. Im sorry I ever bought any of that it was junk. Ive always liked Swiss but the price now is just more than I want to pay. Thats the reason I bought the Old E. I cant tell any difference when I clean up from Old E to Swiss. I hope Goex makes it again. I would buy more. I havent shot any Schuetzen yet as Ive been shooting my 50 cal flinchlocks for the time being.

Ive got some Schuetzen 3F. I bought it a while back when powder was hard to come by. Before Goex blew up this last time and was sold to Estes I bought a case of Ole E 2FG. Years ago I shot BPCR with a Sharps. Swiss was king then less fouling and more speed than Goex and these was another powder available then called Elephant. Im sorry I ever bought any of that it was junk. Ive always liked Swiss but the price now is just more than I want to pay. Thats the reason I bought the Old E. I cant tell any difference when I clean up from Old E to Swiss. I hope Goex makes it again. I would buy more.
The last time I bought Swiss, it cost $7.50/lb. That was a premium price at the time. I wish I had known about Olde E when it was on the shelf. My understanding is they will again make it.

Last edited:
I won a pound of schutzen couldn't even finish a woods walk it . Fouled my rifle up so bad.
WANO is Schutzen powder as is Swiss same manufacturer. They might have been making powder since the 1600s but it'd be the last thing I ever shoot again.
I'm not looking for sponsorship promotions making YouTube videos.

In the group of guys I shoot with. People, I know that have had trouble with their guns. All we're trying to give me their Schutzen powder.
I've been shooting muzzleloaders since around 1968.
I have never been able to clean a Muzzleloader loader or a suppository gun with three or four patches!
The phrase "your mileage may vary" comes to mind. I've had no issues with excessive fouling with Schutzen or Goex, though of the two Schutzen fouls slightly less , but both preform almost equally. The fact I can get Schutzen for $23 a pound vs $28 for Goex is more of a driving factor for me.

No sponsorship here, just my own thoughts.

I've used both Schuetzen and the new Goex Powder. I haven't noticed a huge difference in either one.
But, when Goex was unavailable, I was sure happy to see that the Schuetzen Powder was available for me. And now that Estes has put in such an investment in bringing Goex back to the market I want to make sure I buy their product as well. So for me, I will try to support both companies because I want them both to succeed.

Absolutely.....
I spend 5-7 minutes cleaning my guns using Swiss & Schuetzen.
I never achieved that using Goex.
I still have 3-4 pounds of the older Goex & quit using it for that reason.
Anyone that can full clean in 5 to 7 minutes isn't doing a very good job.

This took longer than that to properly clean.
1000008774.jpg

Back