• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going Off Halfcocked, or How I Got My First BP Tattoo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR James

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As I posted previously, I recently re-worked my .45 Tennessee rifle. After final reassembly, I checked the gun over and everything seemed to be in working order. Yesterday I took it to the range for it's post-rework rechristening. I loaded powder and ball and set the rifle in the bench rest for priming. The cock was on halfcock and the set triggers were unset. I primed the pan and closed the frizzen and BOOM! Fortunately, the rifle was safely pointed downrange. Unfortunately, my middle finger caught a major portion of the vent blast. I don't know what my finger weighed before, but it's now about a grain heavier from all the imbedded bp particles.

At first I thought the rifle was expressing its displeasure at having been reworked, given that I'd never had any mechanical problems with it before and, especially, it's choice of fingers to violate. Upon examination, it was obvious that something had changed in the trigger/sear relationship so that neither the halfcock nor fullcock would hold properly with the triggers unset. Set, they both held and functioned normally. Tonight I'll dive in and see what the problem is.

I'm posting this as a cautionary tale. I've had this rifle for many years and shot many, many rounds through it without a single malfunction. But obviously something has changed even though I did no deliberate modifications to the trigger assembly, its inletting, the lock or its inletting. When I tried the rifle after reassembly, the half and fullcock seemed to be working normally, but the jar of the frizzen snapping closed was enough to drop the cock. If you do any dissasembly, especially after significant modifications, THOROUGHLY check out your firearm before using it. I should have treated this as an entirely new rifle and given it a thorough going over, but instead I assumed nothing had changed. Obviously, that wasn't true.

Now...do I have to pick these little buggers out of my finger or will they work themselves out on their own?

You say that it went off when you closed the frizzen. Could the flint have been too far forward, and sparked when the frizzen hit the flint????????
Just a though.

No, the cock actually dropped from its halfcock position. It would do it everytime when I was "reconstructing" the incident, as long as the triggers were unset. And this was a well used flint that was nowhere near the frizzen face at halfcock.

Trigger was probably bearing on the sear, which kept it from seating fully in the tumbler.Adjust the trigger spring and/or top of the trigger bar so that the trigger does not touch the sear bar when trigger is not cocked.

Yes, I sure that is what's happening. I'll know for sure when I check it out tonight after work.

These pic's were taken last year... :redface: :shake:
ouch.jpg
_6215988.jpg

I agree with Pete. If I were a betting man, I am sure that is the problem you will find.

Looks just like my finger. How much time between the first and second photos?

And yes, it hurts like all get out. Still really sore today.

When it happened, I thought I blew the tip off my finger :shocked2: :cursing: . What you see in the first picture, is what it looked like "AFTER" I picked out what I could. In about 3 or 4 weeks(no bandade's just some vitamin E each day) I was able to peel off all the dead part. It came off in one piece and with it most of embedded stuff, leaving a pretty deep hole. The second picture was, I guess about 3 months later. :grin:

Yep. those flinters can screw up a finger. Yours matches mine except mine is my little finger on my left hand. I have found that when I am shooting off hand, I get best support from my left hand when my left elbow is against my side and my left hand is back near the trigger guard. In this instance, I let my hand get a bit too far back and for some reason my left little finger was stuck up in the air. This placed it up next to the pan. When I fired, it felt like someone had whacked my finger with a stick. Then the burning sensation started setting in. :cursing: Man, it hurt and it made it difficult to finish the match but I did. That was about 6 months back and I now sport a nice tattoo on my little finger that closely resembles yours. I still love that gun and wouldn't trade it for anything but I am a bit more careful where my finger is when I fire. :nono: :hatsoff:

You know, if a fella made a little brass stencil of a design and glued it to his hand, then put it up against the side of the pan...

:grin:

After reassembling if the parts relationship were very tight tolerances beforehand you may have overtightened the lock screw and tang screw a smidge shrinking the original tolerances. This wouldnt allow the sear to fully engage the halfcock notch because sear would be riding up on trigger bar.
Ive had this happen on a couple occations when setting up triggers and trying to not get any rattle between sear and trigger :redface:

I've sorta been there too. I had a lock where after I retooled it and the trigger, the trigger was putting pressure on the sear. In my case, it only happened when it was a full cock. I was shooting at a sitting position when I pulled the cock back and it just flew right forward again discharging the weapon. I put a hole in the ground about three feet in front of me and I was sitting in a cloud of smoke.
Keeping your weapon pointed downrange always pays off. :thumbsup:

Well I see that I'm not the only one with a bp tattoo. I got mine a few months ago shooting my right handed rifle left handed( left eye dominent) and no you'll get to wear that tattoo a long time unless you want to go through the pain again--cheers dbj

Same thing happened to me. It sure does hurt. Spent time in the ER. ER nurse told the doctor what I had done and he sugggested using leeches, just to keep within the 1700's timeframe.

It was pretty sore last night and a little swollen, a couple of spots were needing the pressure relieved. When I gave it a squeeze I bled ink! The blood that came out was as black as could be. Feels a lot better today though.

Bubba came pretty close to the cause. The tang screw now tightens a little more than before so that was part of it. The other part is I had forgotten that I had re-browned the set trigger plate with Plum Brown and had removed the springs before doing so. I noticed that the rear trigger spring seemed a bit slack so I made sure it was tight when I reassembled. This evidently raised the height of the rear trigger bar. The sear bar on the lock sits very low. The combination of all of the above put the trigger bar in contact with the sear bar. Because the sear bar position does not remain constant on this lock, there was enough clearance for the sear to partially engage the halfcock, but the fullcock wouldn't hold at all sometimes, and just barely othertimes. But even the halfcock would consistently drop the cock when closing the pan. Tonight I'll make some adjustments to fix the situation.

I got a palm tattoo once when trying to lower the hammer and it "touched" the frizzen, that's all, just touched it! Burned something fierce! My perennial problem is holding my hand too close to the frizzen spring and getting squashed & cut fingers when the frizzen flies back.

Can happen with modern guns, too and I never miss a chance to warn people. About 20 years ago, as a young man, I began to shoot a .45 ACP (when I wasn't burning BP) and I developed a comfortable two handed hold appropriate for an auto. With that model, you gotta focus on keeping the 2nd knuckle of your right thumb out of the path of the recoiling slide or you will be bleeding.
After years of shooting that way, one cold Feb morning at the range, my brother told me he wanted to sell his 4" S&W Mod 686 in .357 and he offered it to me 1st. The 686 is a cherry of a gun and I was playing with the idea of handgun hunting.
So when he said "take a few shots" I didn't hesitate. When I pulled that trigger, I knew instantly that an auto type hold was not appropriate for a wheelgun. The middle 2 fingers on my left hand felt as if they were severed and I was afraid to look as I squeezed those fingers tightly in my right hand.
Yep, I dropped that gun on the ground reflexively! I finally dipped both fingers in an icy puddle but they hurt for almost a week and were numb for a week after that. It was almost 3 months before I stopped seeing black specs under my skin.
Be careful, stop and think more than once when handling any gun.

Latest posts

Back