• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good beginers muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelockhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My fiancee is interested in muzzleloading, so i'm thinking about picking her up one. I would let her use mine but she's left handed and i'm right handed.

Any suggestions as to an inexpensive lefthanded model? I'm looking to spend less than $150.

thanks for any suggestions

i would keep an eye on gunbroker and auction arms. you might check the classifieds here and post one seeking your rifle. check local gun shows and gun shops too. your post here might find you one. good luck in your search. if you don't mind the comment - marry her. i wish i could get my wife to participate in bp. she has no interest in shooting at all.

I used DH gun the first few times, when I started shooting... I am a lefty, an he is a righty...I started with a GPR, then moved on to my Issaac Haines. I think the lyman trade guns come in lefty as well. Alot depends on how heavy a gun she needs... the GPR is about 9+lbs,which is to heavy for me.
I think the trade guns are 7 or 8 lbs.... there are some others that are smaller, like the sennaca, and some of those. You will need to look for a used gun probably..and they are not usually very cheap. Good luck in your search

Any suggestions as to an inexpensive lefthanded model? I'm looking to spend less than $150.

Ouch! Any special "needs"? Hunting, flint, target shooting, reenactment? For just a muzzleloader for entertainment & huntng you're limited to a Traditions if new, pretty much. Even then, that left-hand requirement is going to be a toughy. Caliber should not be a concern because you can always cut back the powder for plinking and any recoil sensitivity.

You can check out http://midsouthshooters.com for good prices on new muzzleloaders. I don't think there's much at that price.

Run a "gun wanted" in our classifieds.

If you can find a nice used underhammer in 45 cal, that would be a dandy one that you could shoot also!

As a lefty I would suggest a cap lock I shoot them with no problem at all. If I ever find a lefthanded rifle I will make sure it is a flint. I even find the right handed cap rifles easy to operate.

Then again I shoot righthanded bolt guns all the time as well with no problems. Same with autoloaders. The one rifle that nails me in the face sometimes is my origional .32Winspc that guns ejection just tweaks the cartridges a bit to the right which means my face.

I would look for a used New Englander from T/C or any other light righthanded caplock and you should be fine. Make sure you start her off with patched round balls and charges around 60g. Recoil is fine with that type of load and pretty accurate.

If I ever find a lefthanded rifle I will make sure it is a flint.

FYI...if you didn't happen to know about it, TC makes a left handed Flint Renegade...never understood why they didn't make a left handed Hawken, but at least they make the left handed Renegade...see them on auctions from time to time

Not sure you'll find a lefty model for under $150 unless used. You might try Ebay or some of the other internet auction sites. I'm not sure if CVA ever made any of their entry level muzzleloaders for lefties but it might be worth a search. There plenty of good folks here who'll be able to offer more infomation than I can. If getting her intrested in shooting with you is really important, would you be willing to spend more along the lines of $250? Just think of all the dinner dates and movies you can skip because you're teaching her to shoot. ::

I dunno..if I were you, I'd spend some money on this. See, the time will come when you will want to drop some $$$$ on a rifle you like...payback can be very unpleasant. :D

you might want to get a hold of deer creek muzzleloading they make all sorts of kits and left handed guns are produced and fairly inexpensive too, I have a catalog but cannot seem to find it I believe someone else could give you the number if not I'll continue to look untill I tear my house apart to find it. bb75

Run a "gun wanted" in our classifieds.

That's what I did a few weeks ago, and was offered a very nice left-hand Lyman GPR, used, for less than 50% of new MSRP. I took the fellow up on his offer.

I haven't shot it, yet. My only complaint so far is the weight, and the reach may be a touch long for me. If I buy another rifle, which I may, depending on my experience with the Lyman, I will look for something that weighs a bit less.

That is why I suggested a light caplock even if right handed. No caplock has ever been a pain to shoot at all for me being a lefty but I know a lady is going to want a light rifle with little recoil. I was going to even suggest the White Mountain Carbine but that thing kicks pretty good and has a twist that makes it hard to shoot round balls.

I only own one left handed rifle even though I own over 20. That is a bolt gun the rest of the guns I just shoot and not worry about it. I have got pretty good at cycling bolt rifles with my right hand while still holding the gun to my shoulder.

My son is left-handed and I got him a Lyman Deerstalker .50 lefty for a little over $200. It's nicely balanced and shoots real well. There was one in the classifieds for $250 I think.

Back