• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

good elk charge and expected velocities from a .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a lot of technical data, but I just took a whitetail at 70 yards with what I am embarassed to say was a terrible shot (stuff happens - 'nuff said there). In the ham, through the leg bone, ball split, part went through a far side rib and was recovered under hide, and the other part went through the front opposite shoulder/leg bone, and out (not recovered).

This is with a .58 cal perc., using a .562 PRB, and 90g of FFg, .010 patch and felt wad out of a CVA Mountain Rifle. I just can't imaging needing more "oomph" in a powder charge. :surrender:

This gun shoots 4" groups off hand at 100 yards for me on the factory original sights. Likely it is me, not the gun/load that causes them to be this wide......

Don't stress out over it or over-analyze it. That load is a hammer, and efficient. I even believe, due to the fouling issues I get, that the 90g is too much. Good luck, and have fun. :v

You really cannot get the magnum effect out of a ML by adding more powder and a larger ball, you will punce a bigger hole possibly at a greater distance depending on ability, but most any 90 gr3f load in the .54 -.62 bores will do the job under 100 yds.

I agree with TG. I brought down an elk cleanly last fall with my .54 using a single patched round ball and 70g of 3f. I shot it at 20 yards. My point is you should find a combo that is consistently accurate and adequately powerful, then work on your hunting and stalking skills.

Sean

Agree, with sane and Tg. You also need to remember that there is a law of aerodynamics that says anthing that is pushed into air faster will also slow faster. There is an optimum speed for all round balls, based on their caliber, when shot through air, and more velocity at the muzzle only means more recoil behind the gun, Not much better velocity out at long range.

Trying to turn a large bore rifle into a LONG RANGE rifle shooting RBs is counterproductive. :shocked2: :hatsoff: The reason you see long range rifles shooting conicals, is because you get such better ballistics coefficient from conical bullets, compared to round balls. :thumbsup:

Back