• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

good hunt for NWTF 12 double !!!(surprise kill !)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well this story started off a couple days before when one of my good friends gave me a 15 lbs jar of shot.He had gotten into muzzleloading years ago and bought a new englander 12 guage. he worked with it and found that his gun shot best with a mix of #4,#5&#6 shot. Well he doesnt get to shoot the new englander much anymore and has 75+ lbs of the shot mixture. he said that I could have as much as I needed. I was hesitant about how a mixed load of shot would work. So i decided to give it a try.
The day started off with nice weather. the only problem was it was it was very windy and the squirrels werent moving. I hunted for a couple hours and decided to head home. Well right before I got to the house I heard the tell tale noise of a incoming dove. The dove flew right over me. I threw the gun up and shot. The dove fell motionless to the ground. I thought to myself that this shot combo might work out pretty well ! I went and picked up the dove and went home. There I cleaned it and cooked it up with the squirrel I killed a few days ago with the NWTF 12. It tasted very good.
DSCF1085.jpg

DSCF1084.jpg

Then later in the afternoon I decided to go look around in an old apple orchard where i will be hunting deer. Sense the double 12 was already dirty I decided to take it along in hope of finding a squirrel. well I had only walked a little ways into the apple orchard when I saw a big groundhog sitting motionless on the other side of the orchard. The hog ran to its hole,but stopped a couple feet away form it and froze again.Well I debated whether or not to shoot. I knew my 80 grains of mixed shot was potent,but a big groundhog at 25 yards was quite a gamble. not to mention when it stopped,it stopped on a hill and all I could see was its head above the crest of the hill. Well I decided to take the gamble. I cocked the hammer,aimed the bead at its head,and pulled the trigger. BOOM.... when the cloud of smoke cleared I didnt see a hog anywhere. I walked up a bit and looked over the hill to see the hog kicking on the ground. I walked up to 15 yards, cocked the other hammer,and shot the hog with the other barrel as a security shot. The hog ceased all kicking. I walked up to see my trophy!It was a big old hog that had been well fed on apples. I am very happy with the preformance of the shotgun and the mixed shot.a 25 yard hog kill with a cylinder bore shotgun is no easy task ! The hog was one of my biggest muzzleloader killed hogs and it wont be the last. enjoy SS
DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1088.jpg

here is my size 10 moccassin for size comparision. It measured 22 1/2 inches from tip of nose to tip of toe.
DSCF1090.jpg

Sounds like you found the right mix ! Keep up the good work.It's good to see a young man like you using a muzzleloader.I hope you will share the experince with some of your friends. :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Ancient One said:
:thumbsup: If you were my son, I'd be proud of ya. Aww what the hell, I'm proud of ya anyways.[/quote]

Me too!! BTW, my Dad hunted with ML shotguns and he used some mixed shot loads. He also used green Spanish moss for wadding in his original English 12 ga s x s.

Good shooting and hunt. Now you got some meat. Have to put that one in the pressure cooker. You must get the love of the doubles from my dad, as he liked them much. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

thanks guys
yes, there is something about doubles that I really crave. When I get the locks fixed on my flintlock double barrel 12 guage I will have a real blast.Hopefully It will pattern as well as my 3 other double muzzleloading shotguns.
I am trying my best to get my friends into primitive muzzleloaders. At first they all thought I was crazy,but now they are starting to see that these "smoke sticks,cap guns and rock locks" are killing machines. Thomp shooter here on the forum is one of my closest friends that I finally convinced to take the plunge and get a real muzzleloader. He loves it and has been working on the groundhogs and squirrels with his t/c new englander 50 cal. And this winter hopefully both Thomp shooter and I will have deer kills to post on here. Thanks again boar-dilly for getting me addicted to this great sport. Enjoy SS.

It looks like coyotes and deer are soon to be on your list of double barreled critters to be bagged. Congrats on your efforts so far.

yes, actually when I was 12 years old I killed my first deer with my first double muzzleloader shotgun. An old 14 guage original shotgun. I have loved double loader shotguns ever sense
DSCF1673.jpg

Nice story, thanks for sharing!

I know a very opinionated 70 year-old Italian friend of mine, a very good shot with a shotgun, and he swears by a mix of 6's and eights for clay birds, especially on windy days.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Back